Sun, Souks and Sardines by the Seashore


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Essaouira
September 28th 2011
Published: September 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Atlantic Coast – Essaouira
This was the most relaxed of all Moroccan towns. Essaouira is a magical place of whitewashed streets, wide sandy beaches and a chaotic fishing port, famous for its craftsmen with local thuya wood. The town attracts artists and photographers, as well as windsurfers who consider Essaouira’s surf the best in Africa.
Souirah means “beautifully drawn”, and the town has a definite European feel, designed by a French slave of Sultan Sidi Mohammed in 1760. The fishing port is the focus of the town. Tourism rivals sardines as the major industry. We had to have lunch in the port where you go to a stall and choose your lunch. The fish stall vendors were so loud and boisterous waving and coaxing you in every language possible to eat at their stall. Once you choose a place to eat and your pick of the seafood, you can relax and soak up the salt air overlooking the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean. I waved to you from the seashore, did you see me?

Two days were spent wandering and relaxing in this peaceful seaside town. Evenings were spent watching the sunset and sipping a Mojito (they grow enough mint here for the tea and mojitos!). This town was full of great restaurants where we feasted on more freshly-caught fish and seafood and enjoyed live Gnaoua music brought to Morocco centuries ago by slaves from the south.
Baraka! (I’m full)



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 6; ; mem: 1.2mb