Don't Baguette Your Bucket And Spade


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Essaouira
February 4th 2008
Published: February 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Being the complete and utter tight arses that we are we decided to move into the cheaper room we had originally booked. The room is half the price (£6 for a double room) and exactly the same but without the view of the sea. I think the owner always puts people in the rooms with views to begin with in the hope that you will love it and not bother to change.

We left our hotel and turned onto the main street and our noses led us directly to a food stall. There was a woman standing over a hot plate making square pancake type things, they smelt beautiful. We ordered one each and they were served with a completely unhealthy helping of butter and honey.

We walked out of the relative comfort of the medina and towards the bus station where we were faced with more hustlers. We fought our way through them and negotiated a reasonable price for our trip to Agadir tomorrow. Luckily for us we arranged to meet the guy at the ticket booth because all the destinations on the buses are written in Arabic.

We walked back to the medina via a rather ominous back street. It smelt of rotten food and suspicious looking piles of things lay in the middle of the street and the people were not the friendliest of folk. We both breathed a sigh of relief when we turned back on to one of Essaouira's picturesque streets lined with familiar carpet stalls and shop owners promising to offer us a "good Morrocan price".

Baguettes were for dinner, I opted for a small one, but Rob got a large one which was actually a full baguette. We returned to the ramparts to eat them whilst looking out at the sea. I know that kif is a major source of income here but it says something when you are enjoying some nice alone time and someone interrupts you to see if you want to buy some.

Essaouira is beautiful and the streets are mesmerising, however the beach was calling our names. We found the holes which we dug yesterday and decided to re-occupy the same spot and laid down only to be covered in sand due to the wind sweeping across the beach. Rob thought it would be an ingenious idea to build a wall above my head to stop the wind blowing the sand into me. The wall was a pretty disasterous plan as he covered me in more sand than the wind would have done anyway (intentional?) and it just meant there was more sand to blow in our faces. '

The shower at the hotel looked more like a sandpit once we had finished with it. Sand was everywhere and in everything and managed to find its way all around the hotel room. We had an hour or two to waste so we relaxed in our room and watched people walk past on the ramparts.

We returned to the restaurant we wanted to eat at last night and there were actually people in there so we went in. It was a beautiful little restaurant with tiling, big sofas and candles etc. We both had the fixed menu and thoroughly enjoyed the food, much better than yesterday. People just kept on pouring in and the place was full in no time, and yet yesterdays restaurant was empty. Strange how it works.

We had a quick walk around the streets but after sitting so long in the restaurant most of the streets were empty. It was also quite chilly with the walls channeling the wind towards us.

I am just writing this with the window slightly ajar so we can hear the waves crashing. Night night. stob



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Us Us
Us

(Close Up)


15th February 2008

blue skies
Blue oo oo skies I saw you standing alone... Sing to the tune of 'Blue Moon' MMMM lovely. Love mum x

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb