CASABLANCA


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Grand Casablanca » Casablanca
November 17th 2014
Published: November 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

CASABLANCA. 17 November, 2014. Blue sky, finally.

We departed Marrakech by a good train this morning at 10.45 for the three hours ride to Casablanca. The train was busy, but left punctually which was a little surprising as many things appear haphazard, but in reality seem to work smoothly.

The scenery was interesting, low rolling hills with little natural foliage. The land was extensively cleared and plowed, yet evidence of crops was little. The paddocks were edged with cacti as the fencing barrier, and their vibrant green against the red furrowed earth interesting. The homes amidst the paddocks were surrounded by tall earthen walls. Noticed flocks of grazing goats and a few sheep, not sure what they would have been eating, rocks perhaps!!

We saw plantations of what we thought were eucalyptus trees. Not sure why, perhaps for their oil. The trees were not tall and had many limbs, so we thought that timber was unlikely.

The land was not heavily populated and the occasional towns appeared to be small, although towns were all constructed of buildings 5 or 6 levels high, again in the reddish ochre of the land, so the populations may be larger than the footpad would suggest.

Arrived in Casablanca about 2pm and caught a taxi to the Corniche, the Atlantic foreshore of Casablanca, about 15 kms from downtown. Marvellous to see the ocean on a clear blue sky afternoon. The corniche that we have seen to date, stretches about 10 km. From our room we have an exceptional view along the beach which reminded us of the view we had in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Went for an afternoon stroll ( about 6 km) and found a large shopping centre built against the beachfront, literally, built largely below ground, so as not to obstruct the ocean view. Contrary to our expectations and the travel articles we have read, this part of Casablanca is appealing.

The view of our first African sunset from our room was spectacular!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb