Do they pee in your food?


Advertisement
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
December 26th 2009
Published: September 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 34.0348, -4.9993We checked out and left our backpacks at the front desk before heading out to the Hassan II Mosque. Having some issues getting a taxi, a local guy took us down another street and hailed us a taxi. I figured he was angling for a tip, and he asked for a little something to get some breakfast - I handed over 10 dirham, but then he said he needed another 5 to get something to eat.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 0, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ZDZD
ZD

Kefta and chicken, with cheese and tomatoes. The fries tasted like they were from McDonald's, which is actually a compliment. The sandwich tasted a bit like a Big Mac with the special sauce inside. We had been eating a lot of sandwiches and the like the past few days, since we were getting sick of the typical couscous/tajine offerings. But after all these recent sandwiches, we're now getting sick of them, and will soon revert back to couscous and tajines! Mary actually wanted to order a tajine today, but figured we didn't have time for it, so she ended up getting a sandwich. As it turns out, the tajine probably would not have taken any longer than the sandwich. The Poms apple soda you can get here is really good (the bottle is just out of view).
zzzbzzzb
zzzb

Neat little pedestrian street by our hotel.
YY
Y

Dinner in Fes - we eventually settled on Restaurant Bouayad, primarily because Erin had mentioned they make an excellent fish tajine. Of course, the tout working for the restaurant kept winking at Mary as we walked by, so perhaps this had something to do with Mary wanting to dine here. It was quite funny - being early, along with a couple, we were the only people in this very romantic candle-lit restaurant. Unfortunately, Mary wished Anders was here instead of me, and I wished any Spanish girl was here instead of her. Sigh ...
ZFZF
ZF

Mary started with an omelet, wanting to avoid salads as she suspected they were giving her some stomach problems.
ZGZG
ZG

I went with the Moroccan salad - the word salad is a bit of a misnomer here, since they offer so much more than the typical version. Tomato, onion, lettuce, squash, eggplant, and potatoes. Moroccans really know how to prepare potatoes - though simply done, they taste SO good here. I think it's largely the quality of the potatoes themselves, but there seems to be some good seasoning that works well with them. Or perhaps all the pee the staff put into our food as a result of the low price we paid!
ZIZI
ZI

My main course was a kefta tajine, with a fried egg - very tasty and flavourful, it tasted more like an Italian dish than anything Moroccan. My only complaint is that there weren't any veggies in the dish, it was pure meat, and it was a tad bit oily.
ZJZJ
ZJ

Mary's fish tajine was also very good, with the fish being nicely cooked and having a slightly spongy texture to it. We couldn't quite put our fingers on it, but there were just some really great flavours in the dishes that we haven't been tasting so far in Morocco. Fes is supposedly renowned for its food, and the reputation appears to be well deserved.
ZKZK
ZK

Flan - not too bad.
ZLZL
ZL

Oranges with cinnamon - they tasted exactly like ... oranges ... with cinnamon ...
ZMZM
ZM

Back at the guest house, Mary complained of a slow-draining tub while she showered - it must have been nearly completely plugged, because the water level was knee deep. I asked Mary if the plug was installed, and she assured me it wasn't. It was very strange, especially when more than an hour later, the liquid level didn't seem to have drained one bit. This was when ...
ZNZN
ZN

... we checked and yup, the plug was installed and had to be removed. Funny how quickly the tub drains when the plug is removed ... even funnier was how earlier today we discussed Mary's role as a "lightning rod". When she's around, embarrassing things seemingly don't happen to anyone else, only to her. She's like a magnet for embarrassing episodes!
zzzdzzzd
zzzd

Our cozy little room. As she took this picture, I swear I heard Mary wish that I would disappear, with Anders magically taking my place.
zzzczzzc
zzzc

Mary has become obsessed with taking pictures of her flea-bitten legs. On her right knee you can see a bruise from when she fell off the sidewalk last night.



Tot: 0.483s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 6; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0899s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb