Fes


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
September 30th 2010
Published: October 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Fez begins with a trip to the post office to hand over a large chunk of money after negotiating with a local to purchase plastic for wrapping whilst I buy the tape and box. Have to say everyone is more than helpful and work out the cheapest way to combine all our purchases into one odd shaped parcel but it does take a long, long time, so long that R sits on the post office floor for most of it!

This of course means we are late for our lunch date with our Moroccan men from the night before ( all plutonic no one needs to be alarmed!) we scuttle back down towards their shop in the medina and they are on the lookout for us and wave us in - Mama is waiting. Before we have tine to think we are off down another winding alley to visit the family home for lunch. Mama peers over the second floor railing at her guests, feeds us delicious food but never fully materializes in person. The food was the best we have had so far - tomato salad, lentils and bread followed by Kafka (meatballs) and finally fruit. After lunch we tour the house and Mussaf's sister, who speaks " a little English" appears to chat. All in all she is a happy woman, seemingly content, a hairdresser who comments on my good cut - see Greg it is worth the money! Of course after the family lunch it is only right to spend money in their shop ( suckers we are) and many mint teas and hours later we have more parcels but no bargains this time round!

Later in the afternoon we wander to the other side of the medina thanks to my very efficient guide Rochelle who only takes one wrong turn and pays a small boy to navigate our way to the Dar el Makhezen , the Royal Place, but oops we get confused and end up at the Sofitel Palace Jamai, sadly no beautiful huge brass gates and intricate wood work but ohhhhh cold gin and tonics on the terrace overlooking Fez. So good we stay for two!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb