Finding our way around Fes


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
December 19th 2008
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got up rather too early for my liking to catch the catamaran from Algeciras to Ceuta. We got some great views of Gibraltar from the boat, and the crossing wasn't too rough (although I don't think I should get a job where I have to walk around on a swaying boat!).

In Ceuta (a Spanish enclave on the North African coast), we had to queue for quite a long time to cross the border into Morocco. From the border, we drove through the very scenic Rif mountains towards Fes. It was very interesting to see lots of busy little villages lining the road, with people transporting almost everything you can think of on donkeys!

In Fes, we got a very amusing guide who took us to the impressively large palace gates (you can't go inside) and then around the medina and its many souks. We visited a tannery with people standing in huge vats of dyes, and saw the vast array of multicoloured leather products for sale. We also went to places selling carpets and an amazing array of brightly coloured fabrics. The streets are very narrow, and bustling with activity; people buying and selling almost everything imaginable, and donkeys staggering through with heavy loads. It was an amazing experience, and we were very glad that our guide knew where he was taking us as we'd have never found our own way around the maze of souks!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb