The Last Day in Dubai and Mauritius


Advertisement
Mauritius' flag
Africa » Mauritius » Grand Bay
August 17th 2006
Published: August 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Dubai began with a city tour of Dubai. We were driven around to Bur Dubai, Deira Dubai, King's Palace, GOld Soukh, Gold Centre, Burj Al Arab, Canal, Madinat Jumeriah etc etc. After the tour, we headed to the Karamah Shopping Complex and we all bought a few things and had a nice dinner at Karachi Darbhar Restaurant. We had a full meal with fresh juices and dessert for 80 Dhirams (20 bucks). We then headed back to our hotel and took a shuttle to the airport. On the shutle we met an interesting drunken fellow who had just come back from fighting in Kabul, Afghanistan. Our flight departing to Mauritius was at 2:30 am and the duty free shopping at the airport kept us occupied till then. Duty free sold everything including gold, perfumes, clothing, chocolate, bread and cheese.

We landed in Mauritius 9:30 am local time and headed to our resort in Blue Bay. The initial drive reminded us of India and all we could see were sugar cane farms. Today was more for R&R, we took a little nap in our room then got ready and relaxed and it was close to dinner time. We had a BBQ dinner at the hotel and then enjoyed some great live music in the hotel. Dad enjoyed a couple cappucino's and by 10pm we were exhausted. By the way its winter in Mauritius and only around 20-25 degrees C.

This morning we rented a car as we had decided to explore this beatiful island of Mauritius. We drove along the coast and checked out some smaller districts. Our first stop was at Ganga Talao. Here there are several sacred statues of Hanuman and alike standing in the water. We then drove by a national colours park and headed to Port Louis. This is the largest town in Mauritius with a population of roughly 150,000 - mainly Creole or French speaking Hindus that moved here years ago from India to initially work on sugar cane plantations. A very safe and beatiful town. We explored the markets including a huge vegetable market and visited Chinatown. We had a late lunch on the harbour comprising of pizza and paniniis. Rather tasty and inexpensive if I may add. It got dark by 6:30 pm and we headed back to our resort in time for an Italian Dinner Buffet.....

Today Thursday is our last day on the island and we didnt plan to do a whole lot. Spend some time by the pool and on the beach, shoot some pool and play some ping pong. The city of Mahebourg is 5 minutes away from our hotel and here is where we currently are at a Cyber Cafe. Catching up with some emails and a quick surf of the net before we head back to the hotel and get ready for dinner. Today the hotel is preparing an Indian Buffet...

Early tomorrow morning (6:45 or so) we fly into South Africa, more precisely Johannesburg. Niraj will be spending a week or so here (trips almost half over 😞) and Suraj, Daxa and Manoj a total of two weeks....

Till Joburg, tata for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Dubai DowntownDubai Downtown
Dubai Downtown

two of the many skyscrapers in downtown Dubai
Mauritius HotelMauritius Hotel
Mauritius Hotel

A pic of the resort in Mauritius..
Mauritius BeachMauritius Beach
Mauritius Beach

3 boys on the Beach...
Hanuman StatueHanuman Statue
Hanuman Statue

A statue of Hanuman at Ganga Talao
Port LouisPort Louis
Port Louis

Port Louis (capital of Mauritius) Waterfront..


17th August 2006

Thanks for keeping us updated on your trip
Glad to see that you all are having a wonderful time on your trip. Make the best of it. Unfortunately, all the GOOD times go really fast. Take care and keep us updated.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb