The desert of nightmares


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » North-West » Timbuktu
July 25th 2006
Published: July 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

RouteRouteRoute

Bus (red) then boat (blue) to Timbuktu
Well we made it to Timbucktu and it only took 3 days by boat. Lying in the same position as our our slow moving, heavily laden old pinasse chugged it's way up the River Niger to the sounds of radios blaring, children crying and mosquitos buzzing.
Timbucktu is a town which has been eaten alive by the desert. A guy we were talking to spoke mournfully of a time fifty years ago when the place was in the middle of a savannah and lions roamed around. In that short time the place has become drowned in sand and it is probably the last place on earth that I would want to live and their only hope (apparently) lies with Libya - a long story.
It was an eye opener being there despite the fact that we actually saw very little - the locals didn't recommend walking around outside before 8pm due to the unbearable heat. I think the question that was on both our lips when we left was why would anyone live in such a remote and desolate place? It took 12 hours by 4X4 to get back to civilisation from the town and they were hot and very uncomfortable.
We are now back in Mopti (a port town i'd guess 400km east of Bamako) and over the next week will travel south to Burkina Faso which should lead up to a slightly more lush environment. It will be good to escape the sand.

I apologise for the infequent blogs and more importantly the lack of photos. The internet here is in such a state that I would need the patience of a saint and about 150 pounds to even upload one. Sorry.

Advertisement



25th July 2006

Don't worry about the photos, we are just glad that you are both well and safe and still having a good time. Maybe there will be more photos and blogs when you get to Ghana, till then take care and travel with our love, mum , dad and Claire
26th July 2006

desolate wilderness
a moving and quite suffocating review Alice and Chris - I felt particularly close to you as I have just returned from two days in Devon and can empathise wholeheartedly. keep safe and drink plenty of fluids X

Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb