IMAGES OF MALI...THE MAGIC OF DJENNE


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » Centre » Djenné
March 6th 2011
Published: March 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

IMAGES OF MALI.....DJENNE.....MUD TOWN OF DREAMS...



On an island in the Bani River, accessed by ferry from the riverbank to the ancient mud town of Djenne (pronounced "Jenny"), we have arrived in my destination from childhood dreams...

And a mud town it still is...

Each year the Mud Mosque of Djenne, the largest banco or mud building in the world, requires repair...where mud has washed off in rain...and the mud artisans show their amazing skills...and remain in employment...

But concrete, some think should change that...

Unlike mud (baked in the sun mixed with straw or otherwise), concrete does not degrade or wash away in rain and is stronger...so some believe concrete is better than mud...

But fortunately traditions and United Nations Heritage Listing has protected Djenne to remain a traditional and spectacular mud town.

Welcome to Djenne...my mud town of dreams...and Regards,

Dancing Dave...(who danced through Mali and down the mud lanes and alleys of Djenne).



Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

MALI'S NATIONAL CAR...THE MERCMALI'S NATIONAL CAR...THE MERC
MALI'S NATIONAL CAR...THE MERC

From dilapidated to latest models, from vans used as buses to trucks and sedans...the Mercedes brand is everywhere...
OVER THE MARKET AT DAWNOVER THE MARKET AT DAWN
OVER THE MARKET AT DAWN

In a few hours this well be a bustling metropolis...


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb