First day


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi
September 27th 2012
Published: September 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Arrived yesterday morning at Lilongwe to be very warmly welcomed at the airport by Jonny and Salome from M'buka Church.

First impressions on arrival (besides the blue sky, sunshine and heat - a little different to Buchan in September) was the amazingly vibrant colours, purples, oranges and reds from the Jacaranda trees and flowers that I don't yet know the name of (perhaps I can try to grow some next summer). Then the journey to M'buka Manse where I am staying with the Pastor, Vasco Kachipappa and his lovely family in my first week here. Along the road life in Lilongwe is very much played out the sides of the roads being alive with people going about their business, many carrying heavy loads and with just about anything and everything for sale. From leaving the airpost to arriving at M'buka it is possible to purchase everything you would need to set up a home here - including the pets.

On arrival at Vasco's I went with him to collect his wife Madalitso, whose name means blessings, from the local governement secondary school where she teaches English. Later on when the two younger children of the famil, Ester and Reuben (who wished to know if I knew Pastor Paul), returned home we spent some time together before attending a prayer meeting at the home of a local Church member. Conducted outside in the local language (Chechewa) with Mada(litso) interpreting this was a wonderful experience. From here we went to the home of an Elder of the Church, Mr Lima to meet with other Church member and a most wonderful meal of local food had been prepared for sharing.

The first day has been filled with welcome and kindness and I have experienced first hand the warm heart of Africa that Malawi is described as in the Guide books.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb