Surf's up in land locked Malawi


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi
November 6th 2008
Published: May 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Malawi


A big driving day which took us via the number one highway through Mkumi National Park. Amazing to be driving on a main highway and passing giraffe and elephants along the way! Saw our first impala, some baboons and as well as vultures, Kirst was lucky enough to spot a Hornbill. Saw lake Malawi for the first time as we arrived at our campsite on the shore at Chitimba Beach.

Whilst staying at Chitimba Beach we spent a day walking up to Livingstonia, named after the missionary who established a mission and town here. The museum at the top was housed in the old mission house and showed early missionary days complete with a proud Livingstone with his first Christian convert! Walked past a school and orphanage but no Madonna in sight here. The rest of the time was spent exploring and enjoying the vast lake Malawi swimming, beach soccer and chatting to the many guys selling wood-carvings and paintings at the campsites. On one day Jas even managed to catch a few waves as the lake is so big that a storm passing over churned up a surf. We had the pleasure of a small local group performing some music and dancing on the beach, the little boys some of the best movers around, although Steve tried to steal the show by the end and pass on the by now legendary, flying mullet move!

We had stopped off in Mzuzu along our travels to visit the market and stock up on fancy dress outfits for a river cruise in Livingstone. We spent two nights at Chinteche making it a total of four days and nights at Lake Malawi before heading south towards Llongwe, the capital of Malawi.On arriving in Llongwe we spent our last Malawian Kwacha and re-stocked our snack supply before heading into Zambia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

heading home from workheading home from work
heading home from work

Don't ever complain about your commute
Our tour guideOur tour guide
Our tour guide

The little fellow lead us all the way up and down, all 32km's!
An African downpourAn African downpour
An African downpour

Improvised frisbie game


17th January 2010

caught a few waves at kande beach
born in malawi , kande beach ... two years ago i went to australia to visit aussie friends who lived in our village for a longtime , the first thing they made me try was surfing then macdonalds , i still remeber this phillipino girl pushing me on a wave ... i stood up on my first wave, after that i was sooh hooked , i was surfing all day everyday.. i returned back to the landlocked malawi and i was just dying to surf , the big april storm just passed , i didnt hesitate i hurried up to kande beach backpackers to hire a surfboard lucky enough they had one , i started surfing and it was sooh much fun. iam currently in capetown working as a surf instructor at muizenberg beach , i hope to return home sometime soon and intruduce surfing to malawians !!!!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb