Africa


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi
July 16th 2008
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So Alyssa and I are officially settled in Africa. Sorry for the delay in posting but it has been quite the culture shock and finding a working internet has not been easy. Getting here was not simple and and not the best experience but an experience none the less and something we will always remember.
Flying into Lilongwe was interesting. Prince George airport definitely seemed large in comparison but after being in Kenya for a night it was refreshing to arrive in a small town. We were lucky to be the first ones through customs and again first ones to get our bags - very happy that they arrived with us! One night in the "big" city then we were up early the next morning to catch the AXA bus out to Mwaya beach a place we now call home. For anyone that wants a true African experience, I would definitely recommend trying out the local transportation. Thank goodness the people here are so kind because this experience could have been much worse. Our taxi driver took us right up to the bus and helped us with our bags and made sure we were on the right bus, so that was a plus but once we were onboard we were on our own...... These buses similar to a grey hound with 3 seats on either side of the aisle. In Africa vehicles are loaded as full as they can get, I was fortunate enough to get a seat but Alyssa was not. People are then crammed in until the aisles are completely full. We were told not to drink too much as these buses do not stop for bathroom breaks and we had a 7 hour ride infront of us. By the first stop Alyssa had to go and an opportunity came for her to run quick, within minutes of her stepping off the bus it started up and drove off. Panic does not fully describe the feeling I felt in that moment and thankfully there was young girl who spoke English that told me we would be just getting fuel and going back and the people that had gotten off were told this. 20 minutes later I was extremely happy to see her getting back on and making her way through the crowed aisles to me. She had not been told the bus would be coming back and had paniced but again was lucky enough to have met an English speaking man who informed her. People here really are incredibly nice and that has made many things much easier.
Shortly after 3pm we arrived at our camp on Mwaya Beach. The lake is our own person beach literally steps from our door and at night serves as the most peaceful relaxation tool to sleep.
At almost the two week point now we feel as though we have finally adjusted to life in Malawi. After the initial shock, home sickness and illness we are able to laugh and truly enjoy the wonders that are Africa. Yesterday we experienced a minibus ride which at one point in the 60km journey we counted 27 passengers and 2 live ducks. Keep in mind the seats are fit to hold about 15 passengers and the bus itself is no larger than a mini van. We witnessed children selling and eating roasted mice on sticks (tails and all) and the worst part is we are no longer shocked by any of this. Children still occassionally cry when seated next to us "mzungus" but the moms are very good and try to get them to play with us. Im still not convinced Alyssa won't try to bring one home, they are pretty cute.
We promise to write again soon with more updates.
Love to all
Lise and Tiff

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb