Going Out


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Central » Lilongwe
June 10th 2011
Published: June 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The first weekend we were settling in and incredibly sleep deprived, so we didn’t do much. We went to The Shack one night last week, which was quite the experience. Wednesdays are volleyball nights. I’m not sure if you form your team there or if there’s some kind of Shack league, but it wasn’t the pick-up scene I anticipated. The had refs and everything.
There was a deck/open area that reminded me of O'Malley's in Shanghai. In fact, BISS friends, the place is very similar. Just imagine two volleyball courts instead of the green space where they set benches for rugby/football matches.
There’s a small dance floor just inside and a few steps that lead to the bar. The clientele was very mixed. Young expat students (a few looked 12), old expats, Malawians of all ages, young professionals, and just about everything in between.
Megan and Mindy have wanted to go dancing since we arrived, so that’s what we’re doing tonight. We’re going with Toko, Alice, and possibly Isaac. Though I heard those 5 discussing transportation this morning; I’m not sure what the outcome of that conversation was. Dave and I are more the Harris Bar type – a place to sit, drink, listen to music, and chat. Apparently they have jazz groups Sundays, so hopefully we’ll be able to check that out. If we’re doing the club scene tonight, I’m going to need something else to balance it out. There’s also the Chameleon, which has live music. The transportation/danger factors being what they are, I imagine there will have to be a lot of compromises made between the four of us.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb