HIV Outreach and trip to Phoebe


Advertisement
Liberia's flag
Africa » Liberia
July 15th 2010
Published: July 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we spent the morning with the Lutheran HIV Outreach department. We only visited with one of their clients (and then toured some of their satellite sites) but it was an intense visit that I think has stuck with everyone that went. The woman we met with was out in the outskirts of Monrovia in a very, very poor area. The whole community (a group of ramshackle palm leaf hut like structures) was sinking into dirty marsh water that will only get deeper as the rainy season continues. The woman we met with set out some benches for us and then faced us. The whole upper left portion of her face (including her eye, or what was left of her eye) was one huge abscess. She spoke humbly of her troubles (her daughter had to quite school to take care of her, and they are in desperate need of food to take with the medication). It was horrifying.


We head to Phoebe for the next 5 days and I will probably be without internet access until I return. We plan to visit a hospital out there, Moses' home village, a local waterfall, Blue Lake (a recreational area), and go to church.

Advertisement



17th July 2010

Im enjoying the writings. Stay safe. we love you.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb