Liberia... slowly, but surely...


Advertisement
Liberia's flag
Africa » Liberia
April 28th 2008
Published: May 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

the hot spotthe hot spotthe hot spot

take it for granteed?
I returned from my trip to Liberia where I visited Bong and Lofa Counties and attended the 13th biannual convention of the Lutheran Church in Liberia. Each time I visit Liberia, I am amazed by the vitality and ingenuity of the Liberian people. The country is recovering slowly but a lot remains untoched. It was quite an experience celebrating the 13th bi-annual convention of the Lutheran Church in LIberia where Bishop Sumoward Harris was reelected by a large vote of confidence. For the occasion, the LCL received delagations from Sweden headed by the Archbishop of the Church of Sweden, from Danemark, Germany and the USA. Prior to the convention, the LCL gathered all the partners in mission and we all celebrated the accomplishments of the past years and the hope for mission and ministries in Liberia for the coming years.

The LCL is a dynamic, vital presence in Liberia. I praise God and I am grateful for so many blessings that are channeled through the LCL ministries for the wonderful people of Liberia. When the vice-president, Mr. Joseph Nyumah Boakai told me of his deep respect and appreciation for the work of the Lutheran Church in Liberia, I was thrilled and felt honored to get to know so many of God's servants in the Lutheran Church in Liberia today.

The convention was a spirit filled experience with music, dance, praise songs, and the vitality of the women and young people. God’s presence was in the middle of serious conversation and reflection of the 600 plus delegates who gathered on the campus of the Lutheran Training Institute to reflect upon the past, rejoice in the present and rally together for the future. Bishop Sumoward Harris who was reelected on the first ballot reminded the assembly that only four years ago the convention met under God’s grace but in the midst of fear, uncertainties, and trauma of war. God has a great future in store for you and through you for the entire country of Liberia, the Bishop added in his address.

I pray that LCL continues to follow the right paths of reconstruction and public witness in which the Spirit of God will guide them as they move forward with God’s mission in Liberia.

I look forward to my next visit with the LCL and pray that the grace of God accompanies Liberia in this time of recovery
Franklin bridgeFranklin bridgeFranklin bridge

connecting Bong to Lofa
and consolidation of civil society.




Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

view of the horizonview of the horizon
view of the horizon

Liberia sunrise
Liberia riverLiberia river
Liberia river

On the road to Lofa County
LCL offices LCL offices
LCL offices

Mission house
LCL SecretariatLCL Secretariat
LCL Secretariat

ADM offices
Pastor DedePastor Dede
Pastor Dede

assembly
view of campusview of campus
view of campus

LTI landscape
LCL and ELCA visit the Vice-presidentLCL and ELCA visit the Vice-president
LCL and ELCA visit the Vice-president

Vice-president Boakai, in the middle
LCL meetingLCL meeting
LCL meeting

partners in mission
water systemwater system
water system

water supply
water systemwater system
water system

water tank
the stormthe storm
the storm

Liberia


6th May 2008

so wonderful to hear the progress in Liberia
I am so pleased to see the power of Gods church at work in this place. So many of the Liberians I have met here in the US have such faith in God and belief that He sustained them during the terror of the war. I have been blessed by them and have been blessed by seeing these photos and reading Louis blog notes.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb