Poverty in Liberia


Advertisement
Liberia's flag
Africa » Liberia » Monrovia
October 4th 2013
Published: October 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Liberia is a nation still reeling from the impact of military conflicts that ravaged the nation, preventing significant advancement and growth. Civil war raged in the 1980s, 1990s, and the most recent civil war ended in 2004. Since then, a government has been formed under a constitution, and the public elections held in 2005 were the most free in Liberia's history. In the few years that the government has been in power, corruption has dereased. According to the Corruption Perceptions Index, in 2007 the country had the 30th most corrupt government worldwide. In 2010 that statistic dropped to 91st. This significant improvemnt is important, as a stable government is required to have a prospering country. However, it is uncertain that this government will last. There are plenty of disgruntled policemen and ex-soldiers that would spring at the chance to seize money and power if given the chance. Should famines, natural disaster, or war in neighboring countries strike, the destabilizing effects in Liberia could cause rebel armies to rise up and challenge the national government. For this reason, the stability of the Liberian government is not guaranteed. The nation requires years of peace to be able to focus on improving internally and creating a stable state that can provide for the people.

Poverty in the nation is a serious issue, as over 85% of the nation's people live below the international poverty line. Poverty breeds crime and instability, as people will go to any means to provide food for themselves and their families. The poorest section of Liberia is unlikely to care about who is president and who is running the country if their plate is still empty. Rather, they will be more likely to support rebles who will promise them food and a way to support their families. For the Liberian government to survive long enough to create positive lasting change in the nation, the issue of poverty in Liberia must be addressed, or else the masses may rise up against the government at the first sign of a rebel uprising with the hope that the rebels will provide them with a method to feed their families. Each day that the Liberian government continues to function and stabilir the nation is a day closer to the dramatic reduction of Liberian poverty, as two spects of THE BOMB, bad government and military conflice, must be resolved before Liberia can move forward as a nation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb