Long Days and Short Nights


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
April 1st 2011
Published: April 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post


I thought visiting the equator would give us 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. How quickly I’ve forgotten that the work of the day can start at 5:00 am and last until midnight! Along with hearing the cattle, geese, and roosters outside our window, Pastor Timothy’s alarm goes off at 4:40 each morning. Our bodies are adjusting well but for a little tiredness.

To catch you up on some of our activities our adventures started quickly on Monday morning when our driver and Pastor Timothy picked us up from the hotel in Nairobi. Timothy had hired a van and driver to take us on the 6 hour drive to Katali. How to cram 15 bags and 8 people in a small van was the first task. I didn’t catch the driver’s name but thought “Speedy Gonzales” would be appropriate if he was Hispanic. We were pleasantly surprised how good the road was for the first three hours. Many improvements had been made and there were even passing lanes. Then as we reached Eldoret the road quickly became the same as it was in 2007. Sitting in the back we rocked from side to side as the driver attempted to find the smoothest ditch. There were many eyes closed, death grips on the seat in front, and “you got to be kidding” looks from the first time travelers. After eating our chicken and chips in Eldoret at 2:30 it took another 2 hours to arrive in Liavo even though it is less than 60 miles.

The orphans at the Children’s Home greeted us with song and dance. Their joy was shared by all and we all felt so welcomed. The next day started early as the Pastors began their conference to train the locals and the rest of us went to Kiteale Ndogo primary school. Though it is a public school of 650 students it is now administered by Glory of Christ Ministry. The conditions were extremely difficult to see and experience. There were only about 8 classrooms. Imagine 76 first graders in one classroom or 95 third graders. The classrooms had nothing but a black board in front and some had written with chalk on the walls that served as a teaching aide. Unbelievable! We divided the 650 students into 4 groups and taught. I served as the P.E. teacher. I had never had 150 students at one time. They loved the parachute games we played and thankfully the parachute hung together.

As we are having power problems I better quickly end. Hope to write more later.

Karen


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb