Tournament Day at RVSC


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
October 31st 2008
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Up as usual but had to get going earlier because we had to set up the RVSC field for our tournament. Andrew had planned on there being six teams arriving at 8.30am for a 9.00am start. As is normal over here, 9am came and went and there was nobody there. By 10.00am we had eight teams! We hastily rearranged the pitches. RL and SC were not feeling too great and RL soon “retired hurt” to his room.

I was given three Pool A matches to umpire and organise. We had created a ‘Barbarians’ side from all the other groups and it was they who had a fantastic opening game vs. Nakuru Day School. The bowling was really good - few no balls/wides and some sensible calling and running between the wickets saw the Barbarians make 258 for 6 wickets from their 12 overs. Nakuru Day School closed on 228 for 14 wickets (it being pairs cricket they could!). The wickets had, therefore, cost them the game.

Second up were SCAN vs. Barbarians. The SCAN children could certainly play cricket and they hit some massive ‘sixes’. This time is was the Barbarians who struggled to keep their wickets intact:- SCAN 271/6 vs. Barbarians 227/10.

Nakuru Day School then had to beat Barbarians in the third match to be sure of a place in the final. They had been well-drilled and some great fielding and batting ensured them the victory. Nakuru Day School 289/3 vs. Barbarians 228 /8.

Things were going pretty well but the sun was very intense. I retreated to the room to get some long trousers and then I was asked to umpire the final. SCAN were put in to bat and did not get off to the best of starts losing three wickets in the first two overs. They closed on 210/10. Nakuru Day School then set about amassing the runs slowly and, against a slightly weaker attack on a much larger ‘final field’ managed 223/6.

The HIV/Aids shirts were handed out and the trophy presented to the winners. Photographs were taken and the day closed at about 4pm. The Whalers CC, with whom we had flown from Heathrow, turned up towards the end of the final and stood behind the fence to watch. They are due to play here tomorrow against a Rift Valley side. I had a bite to eat and drink and then went for a walk around the city before changing ready to go out for the evening.

It had been a very hot day and it was nice to be clean and on the Greensteds school bus at 6pm. We returned Rajab’s and Martin’s golf clubs and took all the kit out to the school so that it can be distributed from there. We were dropped off a short walk away from Lucy and Ed’s house which is attached to the 6th Form Dormitory. We walked round and sat outside on the verandah whilst enjoying various homemade pizzas and White Cap beers. We learnt more about their time in Kenya and the riots & evacuations in the area earlier this year before walking round to the school bar under the sky that was absolutely full of stars. This is a recently built structure that is open along the whole of one side. A huge blazing fire was burning away in the grate and the sparks were, quite literally, flying. We met several of the teachers (and Martin) and talked about cricket and the success of our trip. After several hours we drank up and left in Howard’s taxi. We managed to squeeze five passengers inside with Chip and the security guard in the boot area! Richard L had missed the whole evening and was still asleep in bed when I returned.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb