ICC coaching at RVSC - Day 2 (My Day Off!!)


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
October 26th 2008
Published: November 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Richard L and I had the day off. We woke at 7am and ate breakfast outside watching the fog come and go over the RVSC field. We called for a taxi and went to Nakuru Golf Club. We hit about 50 balls on the range and I tried to get used to both Rajab’s clubs and the long, thick grass. We both struggled with the small headed woods. We played 18 holes around this pretty little course which was like playing every shot out of the rough. We played better but still not up to par due to inconsistency and the club heads having to travel through the grass to the ball. The sun had burst through and we had superb views of the lake over Nakuru. You could see the pink of the flamingos’ fringe even from this distance. The altitude meant that, if you hit the ball cleanly, it went for miles. However, I began to suffer from the reduced air and the climbs at the 15th and 17th holes. However, it was worth it - the view down from the 18th tee was brilliant. Our caddies were, once again, really helpful at spotting balls in the rough. We finished the round at about 12.30. Bearing in mind it was a Sunday morning we had the whole course to ourselves. Plenty of time to enjoy the views even if the golf was less than average. I phoned Moses and he came with his taxi to take us back to RVSC. The others were just going off to start the afternoon session of the IIC course. We enjoyed the barbeque food and then a thunderstorm began. RL & I retreated to the walkway to finish eating and we wondered what the others were doing in the rain - no indoor space here! I drew up a scoresheet for one of the teachers who was interested in finding out about scoring and took it over to the pavilion. Some of the teachers were out, in the now light rain, and others were talking through the process with Chip and Matt. A photographer from Kenya’s national newspaper Daily Nation arrived and took some photographs.

RL and I went off for a walk around Nakuru and stopped at Barclays Bank to use the ATM. We met e couple of ladies who are from Brecon and are trying to set up some kind of nursing assistance in the province. They were interested to learn more about our HIV/Aids work. More rain! RL wanted to look around the market but it had all closed down and the items for sale were under large sheets of thick plastic. However, that did not deter Betty, Nick and Francis plus a dozen other eager traders from trying to part us from our money. I did buy three bananas for 6/= and, later, a couple of Kiswahili books from the Educational Center.

Back to RVSC where we spent a couple of hours in the room all wet and cold. Tee-shirt, shirt and sweaters were needed! Andy was not too well again; lying on his bed with a high temperature. I bought him some water and we hoped that it was just a bit of heatstroke after the last 36 hours. Better get a doctor to check him over though!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb