Golf and Leaving Mt. Kenya...


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Naivasha
July 16th 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After thuroughly beating the rest of my family and inlaws at golf (seven thousand feet makes anyone look like Tiger, still, four pars, 37 out and 44 back and 7 shots better than the field-Bomber eat your heart out!!!!), we left for the surroundings and game drives of Lake Nivasha and the promise of lots and lots of big game and pictures galore. We initially saw that our housing was less than adequate after our drive, but it made up for it when we saw an
adult male Lion sleeping in the wild. His sheer size and latent power was more than awe-striking, we took picture after picture in hopes that the sleeping giant would somehow become aggressive and want something more than we could offer... we were truly after the kill. Later, an abundance of rhinos, baboons, water buffalo, zebras and the occasional appearance of the rest of the pride of lions made our stay much better, even if we had to literally sleep on boards that were loosely covered by comforters and mosquito netting. The view was tremendous as we saw the life of the African Plains unfold before us at sunrise each morning while we sipped too strong Kenyan Coffee, but the sheer beauty was held in the large populous of the Pink Flamingos that inhabited the shallow lake. They were like sunset hit the water all the day through. Large bands of pink enveloped green hills and contrasted the dusty trails we observed and suffered daily to make the most impressive visuals... Not even the pictures would do it justice. If one is able, the necessity to see the sheer contrast of colors of the day and the birds is a must, but if you need to know, the food and accomodations could be missed, but since this is the trip of it's sort, it was as impressive as the soul would allow. I personally was in heaven.

After we stayed for two days, we went to Maryiamou's place, the home of the supposed sister of Oma, a lady who is much revered in her community and nearly as old... their homestead is pearched behind other shops and townships and is generally hard to find, but despite it all, centrally located in a lush and productive community that is largely self sufficient and very warm to our arrival. Most of the children had never seen a white person, not to mention a caravan of twenty one whities coming to visit. Needless to say, Mariamou was the toast of the town and very anxious to see her American sisters, culminating in a relatively elaborate tea that involved home made short bread cookies, flatbreads and cake that no doubt took countless hours to make. All were wonderful and very delicious if I do say so myself. We were literally treated like royality, and even Christine was made to feel like a pricess with her adolescent good looks and fair skin, she was damn near a movie star what with all of the people begging her to stay... I dare say Allan could have gotten several thousand acres and many cows for her if he was so inclined, but being the good father that he is, he declined and we moved along...

Next stop was Latein (la-tain) where one of the original Andersons rests perminately... We again were greeted like royality, with the entire community turning out to pay homage and thanks for the family that brought western civilization and sensabilities to their culture. Evitentally, the venerable Anderson settled a school and church there, and eventually inspired all to reach and perform in his likeness. they eventually built another nursary and a church like the old man would want, and even the mayor spoke of his greatness and contributions. The ceremonies ended with the primary school singing us hymns and wanting our email addresses. The whole sceen was completely overwhelming. I had nothing to do with their lives but yet they wanted me (us) to stay and keep on with the mission, to save and promote the christain lifestyle and ultimately give them a better life than they were enduring themselves. Realizing that fact, Mary quickly said a few words and ushered us back to transport and we evacuated dodge like we were wanted. That sort of experience still haunts my dreams, having nothing to do with the situation and yet somehow be the saviour? I just married in... a very Last Temptation of Christ moment to say the least...

The next 5 hours were arduous to say the least. We drove over hill and dale in vehicles ill suited for the task. Just because the vehicle says "4wd" doesn't mean you have to treat it like one, especially if it is a van. No joke. We drove over the worst terrain in vans that I though would break down at any moment. They were slammed and scrapped, flatted and fixed, bitchslapped and whupped and still came back for more. Toyotas... Africa tested, Scott approved, barely. If anyone out there needs a 4x4 and doesn't buy a toyota from now on, they are just plain stupid. We hit a concrete bridge so hard that I nearly bit my tongue off and the screwy vehicle still ran like there was nothing wrong, all despite the linkage being tattered, the gears and box being severly scrapped, the entire undercarrage being thrashed, and the whole of our passengers groaning "ugh!!" or "ohh!!!!" everytime we hit a bump. When we reached Kichewa Tembo we were so glad that we all went straight to bed after a breif dinner just to try to get the horribly "road" out of our thoughts and memories... but not so fast. More on that later.

At the actual camp the accomodations were stunning... the most comfortable beds we had all trip and the most gracious hosts we had encountered... they really knew how to make a weary guest welcome. Hot waterbottles adorned our beds and hot towels awaited us as we regestered for our tents. The food was first class, and the overall service was otherworldly. We could certainly stand to learn a thing or two about hospitality here in the states from these Kenyans... they have it all over us. I have never felt more welcome!!! But more later. See ya!

Advertisement



21st July 2006

Africa or otherwise
Scott, you may have kicked some ass in Africa, but when I get back rest assured that our golf rivalry will be ever the more competitive. To be called out from the Dark Continent is more than my fragile ego can stand. I'll be envisioning my stroke with the intent of sorely trouncing you. Come October mate, come October . . .

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb