Presence vs. Presents


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
December 19th 2014
Published: December 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Fun day at Spring Valley AdacemyFun day at Spring Valley AdacemyFun day at Spring Valley Adacemy

During school holidays the school offers special events for the children from the slums. This keeps the kids safe and out of trouble.
Immanuel- God with us. The most perfect gift.

I just returned from Kenya, Africa along with my Little and my mom. It was a wonderful trip where we got to take presents to the children and young adults that are sponsored through ITHM and to deliver medical and school supplies to our partners. The gifts were greatly appreciated, as for some, it is the only presents they will receive this year. The girls were thrilled and kept looking in their new backpacks at their gifts of clothing and accessories and their smiles were wide. However, the greatest gift to them was our presence.

As for every child, their lives are impacted by the adults around them. If you give a child a material gift but do not give them love they will be lacking and wanting…longing for more. So with “our kids”. They appreciate a material item but to have adults invest time with them and concern for them are gifts worth much greater value. This is intensified with the children that have lost their parents and are not wanted by their extended families. They long to know they belong.

I look at one of our girls who
A gift to meA gift to meA gift to me

From Ruthie at Into Abba's Arms..a hug and a huge smile! I got to help take care of Ruthie as a baby and toddler. She is now nine years old.
from the age of three was told she was a burden and was beat on a regular basis and I marvel at how well she is doing at the age of nineteen. She was removed from the abusive situation when she was sixteen when we, ITHM, found out about her case. Since then, she has had our partners at Spring Valley Academy, and us to invest in her, to show her we care and to give her opportunities for success. She is all smiles these day and has such a gentle heart. She just graduated from high school and is so thankful as she never imagined that dream would come true. Before we, (ITHM and our donors), stepped in there was no one to pay her school fees or encourage her. Not once was she made to feel like she mattered in this world. Today she knows she is loved!

Christ has bestowed upon us many undeserved gifts however, without the relationship with Him we are lacking…maybe we long for more than a material thing that quickly fades from shiny and new to old and used. He came to be with us, to have a relationship, to affirm us
Our girlsOur girlsOur girls

All of our girls come from difficult situations but because of the love and support of people like you they are rising above defeat!
and shower us with His love.

During this holiday season we pray that you seek His face and feel the gift of His Presence more than the presents under the tree.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Johnny and Jennifer Lawrence and the board of ITHM!

(Scroll down to see more photos!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

New backpacksNew backpacks
New backpacks

Donated by Clothed by Faith and contents donated by CBF and many generous ladies! Thank you!
Mercy and AnnMercy and Ann
Mercy and Ann

Mercy is completing a degree in hospitality and catering and Ann, (the tall one), just graduated from college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Our Little MasaaiOur Little Masaai
Our Little Masaai

Leticia is studying Travel and Tourism and Joyce lives at the Talitha Koum Rescue Center is will start 8th grade in January.
Surrounded by  girlsSurrounded by  girls
Surrounded by girls

Our Little received a gift of a Masai outfit. He was surrounded by females most of the trip and like most men...he didn't mind one bit.
Medical clinic of Spring Valley AcademyMedical clinic of Spring Valley Academy
Medical clinic of Spring Valley Academy

An Asian lady named Dr. Mary donates time and supplies each month to serve the children of Spring Valley Academy. Donations are what makes the functioning of this important place possible.
Food storageFood storage
Food storage

This is the storage room for Spring Valley Academy. They feed over 200 children each day and it is a miracle at times as God multiplies their supplies.


Joshua ProjectJoshua Project
Joshua Project

We have photos of Jonathan "helping" with construction at Talitha Koum when he was about 18 months. His contribution at the JP was balancing a rock.;)


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb