Blessed Generation :) :)


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
May 17th 2011
Published: May 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today some of our group visited the Blessed Generation school in the Ruiru district about 4 km north of Nairobi. This is a school that takes care of orphaned, destitute and abandoned children in Kenya. Currently, the ages of the children range from 15 months to 19 years. Fortunately, some of the grade 8 girls belong to the Global Give Back Circle. This was definitely an incredibly unforgettable experience!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Spirit of Faith => Blessed GenerationSpirit of Faith => Blessed Generation
Spirit of Faith => Blessed Generation

This school was renamed Blessed Generation just recently when a Dutch Organization took over. Temporary Dutch volunteers can often be found residing in the guest house.
DSC00302DSC00302
DSC00302

The school is protected with these high walls.
DSC00303DSC00303
DSC00303

The schools prior name
Self-sustainingSelf-sustaining
Self-sustaining

This school is self-sustaining. The harvest their own crops which is enough to feed the school daily. The cows roaming the campus grounds provide the milk and there are chickens to provide the children with eggs for breakfast on the weekends. At Christmas, just enough of the chickens are killed to feed the children, then some are sold, and the rest are reserved to reproduce.
Maize served all day!Maize served all day!
Maize served all day!

These men are sifting off a substance applied to the maize which repels rodents and insects. The children are served the maze for all three meals.
GGBC GirlsGGBC Girls
GGBC Girls

These grade 8 girls are part of the Global Give Back Circle. They greeted us by singing the Blessed Generation song.
:)   <3   :):)   <3   :)
:) <3 :)

Words nor photos can explain how precious these toddlers are!!
Baby Jesus SongBaby Jesus Song
Baby Jesus Song

These children greeted us with a Baby Jesus song where they pretended to cradle him in their arms :)
DSC00314DSC00314
DSC00314

Each classroom of children sang us a different song. This has to be one of the most heart warming experiences in the world!!
MamaMama
Mama

The boy's and girl's dormitories each have Mama's that serve as a real mother. They put the kids to bed, read them bedtime stories, wake them up and help the little ones wash their clothes.
My campus tour guidesMy campus tour guides
My campus tour guides

Laya, to the right, and her friend gave me a personal tour of the campus. In their bedroom there are several bunk beds and a wall of cubbies. These dorms were cleaner than my apartment building in Aspen!
Baby VincentBaby Vincent
Baby Vincent

Vincent is the youngest child on campus. Age: 15 months
DSC00320DSC00320
DSC00320

When the girls are inside their dorms for free time they may wear shoes and clothing of their choice. Other times, they have to wear their uniforms and big black shoes.
German ShepardsGerman Shepards
German Shepards

The school breeds German Shepard puppies to sell and they use the adults as guard dogs. Linda told me in 2008 the school could not afford to fix the water pipes to have running water. Therefore, the dorms reeked of urine because the children would go on the floor at night to avoid the dogs outside around the out house.
Lunch time!Lunch time!
Lunch time!

For lunch, the children receive a ladle full of maize/bean stew out of one large vat. After the children scarf down their meal they dip their bowls into sudsy water and place them on a drying rack.
Big Hair!Big Hair!
Big Hair!

They little tikes love to touch white skin and "white people" hair. It felt amazing to have several little hands gently stroke my "Big Hair."


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb