FREEDOM!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Central Province » Kinangop
November 4th 2013
Published: November 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Pastor MosesPastor MosesPastor Moses

Taking us to meet the village elders.
Last Friday was a happy day as I received this great news from a Pastor Moses. He has served the poorest of the poor living in the forest as refugees in their own country...

"I would like to inform you this wonderful message that the people of Kieni Forest are no longer IDPs (Internally Displaced People). The government gave them some money and now they are out of the forest and we have the two teams; one in Subukia and the other in Nakuru. So your prayers, comfort and finances has helped them very much. May God bless you all abundantly. Let the other team to know that God has done something. Your prayers and help are not in vain."

I have visited the "forest people" on a few occasions over the years, most recently with Terrace Lakes Community Church. When we drove back through the forest and arrived on this community on the hill the gloom and desperation was as stinging as the cold fog that engulfed us. We got out and met many of the locals, heard their stories, sang songs with the children and prayed in the huts with some grandmothers that were the sole providers
Home visitsHome visitsHome visits

We had the opportunity to pray with a couple of the local grandmothers in the village. One of them was so sweet in that she wanted to offer us her 2 oranges...The only food on her shelf. (If you click on this photo you can see more clearly the grandma).
for their grandbabies. Again I was impressed with the tenacity of those living in such conditions. I love the Kenyan people because they are always ready to give a smile and to find a reason to say a prayer of thanksgiving despite their circumstances.

The goal of ITHM was to raise awareness of the plight and living conditions of these people. During political uprisings back in the 90s the people were chased from their homes due to being a minority tribe in their specific area. They were allotted a 13X13 bamboo shack in which the family was to live. There was no running water, only a handful of outhouses to serve the 500+ people living on a few acres of land, no medical facility but there was an abundance of one thing; sexual abuse. When you throw that many people into such a small area and strip them of all resources that every human should have available, you are creating the ingredients for something ugly.

Whenever we could bring hope, food and a message of love we did. But, most importantly we prayed. Because no amount of human effort could set the people free from the despair we saw. However, we knew on whom to call.

The long awaited day came and the government finally released some land to the people and a stipend with which they can build a small housing structure (probably a room or two) out of something sturdier and warmer than bamboo. I know the people must be rejoicing in their freedom from the forest. Freedom from being hid from society and freedom to once again be in the sunshine and feel like citizens in society.

Thank you to all who have donated to ITHM as we were able assist them in a small way! We know when one is in a place of despair that aid offered in love helps not only physically but also emotionally.

May your heart find many reasons to rejoice today,

Jennifer Phillips Lawrence


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement


Bailey and the childrenBailey and the children
Bailey and the children

Our team had a great time singing in English with the children and listening to their songs in Kiswahili.
Cold frontCold front
Cold front

This forest location was above 8,000 feet elevation and the air was crisp and many of the children did not have jackets. :(

Smiles and sillinessSmiles and silliness
Smiles and silliness

Kids are kids anywhere...these children were having a good time showing off for the camera and for us.


15th November 2013

:-)
Reading this puts a big smile on my face! God is so good and it makes me so happy to know that some relief has come to the people of that camp. Thank you for what you do Jennifer!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb