Ghana: Back Through to Accra


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
March 24th 2010
Published: April 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a mission trying to get through customs back to Ghana, we ended up camping right at the dusty border point, on our way to Mole National Park, the biggest national park in Ghana. We were lucky enough to see elephants on the second day there by the watering hole, an apparently rare occurrence, only to be standing around at the campsite later talking to some local kids who suddenly pointed at the hotel and yelled out ‘elephant!’. Sure enough the massive animal was strolling casually though the hotel, pulling down a few tress, chowing some leaves, no big deal. It was pretty cool to see, and yet surprisingly difficult, you'd think such a huge animal would stand out a mile, but they somehow manage to keep pretty well camoflaged despite their tremendous size. We also got our corn flakes high-jacked by some baboons in the camp, and had frequent visits from a family of warthogs. In between all that, was fun times by the pool and sitting in the sun. As well as getting a really cool show from some local kids (the girls danced, the boys took a LOT of photos) who got us all up and dancing with enthusiasm (some more so than others), it was pretty fun.

After another brief stop in now familiar Kumasi we headed down to the coast for three days of serious chilling. On route we went to do the canopy walk at Kakum National park which was alright- walking high above the trees on fairly skinny rope and wood bridges (and with netting on either side) but there wasn’t a huge amount to see from up there and it was over pretty quickly. Still cool.

Camping on Brenu beach and jumping in the ocean morning, noon and night was fantastic, plus some good food (apparently I love lobster, who knew?) and good company after a few beers in the evenings made for a really cool couple of days. We also went to a nearby school to help paint the classrooms, though with choice of paint limited to dark pink, light pink, blue and lemon yellow it was a little tricky to be creative. But who doesn’t love a classic hand print? We of course also made trips to nearby Cape Coast, and Elmina, both with castles famous for their horrendous misdeeds during the slave trade, the tours of each with their tiny dark rooms which housed over two hundred people squashed together in sewage, blood and vomit made for sombre but fascinating visits. Oh and smoothies after TOTALLY cheered me up afterwards.

And with that, my first month, and the trucking part, was over. Afrterwards, and even now, what I miss most of all, was driving all day watching that amazing landscape and its beautiful people go past, shopping and interacting with people in the local markets when we went food shopping, that communal feel of being part of the truck, and getting to hang out with awesome, well travelled people like GP, Matt and Al, and chatting all night to my tent-mate Asher, and most of all, of waking up naturally at sunrise every day, to poke my head out of the tent to be greeting by warm air, and so often a view that went on for miles. We had one more night together in Accra where we went for a nice evening at Mamma Mia’s, who, if you happen to be in Ghana anytime soon and want to know, do the best Calzone pizza known to mankind. Seriously, Italy doesn't know what it's missing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd July 2012
Fishermen by Elmina Castle

Short Documentary: Elmina's Fishermen
Stunning shot! For those interested in seeing a short documentary on Elmina's Fishermen, please see the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2sAtNqROdE&feature=plcp

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0743s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb