accra to cape coast


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
March 4th 2009
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ACCRA TO CAPE COAST!

Last tuesday we moved from our house in Accra to the second largest city - Cape coast. We got dropped off at a heaving bus station with all our big backpacks and had to sit on a hot tro tro for a bout an hour and half in midday sun waiting for it to fill! lucky there were loads of people walking around to buy biscuits off 😊 . After about a 2n half hour journey we arrived in Capecoast but there was no one to pick us up! eventually our temp leader eric turned up in a normal 5 seater taxi for us 4 girls our many big bags himself and the taxi driver! it was a bit of a squeeze and the boot didnt close so we had to cling on to our baclpacks dear lives!

The house is really nice though, 2 floors and running water woop woop! never thought id get so excited about a toilet that flushes! We are all on bunkbeds again sharing rooms, theres a girl joan from scotland whos with the organisation who weve joined up with.

Iv now started working in the local orphanage every other day aswell as a local nursery creche preschool which is aimed at being for orphans. The schools got loads of equipment like even a few computers and tvs but the actual place is really not very nice :S there are swarms of flies everywhere landing on a ll the babies adn kids all the time which is quite horrible to see. Im working in the nursery part so i get the kids changed into their day clothes each morning, help feed them and do some teaching. Iv also had to SING (was not happy about that ) nursery rhymes and last week had a day were i taught them head shoulders knees and toes (which i later regretted) as it meant repeating it about 30times in the heat- i was very warn out by the end!

At the orphanage we arrive about 7 in the morning help make the kids porridge and then take some of them to school. We then get back and clean all the pots adn pans and sweep. Its quite hard to see how little they have but they do appreciate everything soo much. We then go back in the afternoons and help them to read or do their homework or play games. Most of them are really keen on trying to learn to read english which me and lucy discovered is very hard to teach when theyre reaeding dr. seuss books which dont have real words in! The kids are all soo cute though they are ranged in age from about 5 to 19 all in the one house and there is about 20 of them in total. Me and luce have just been shopping to find them soome ribbons to make plaits and some colouring books- they seem to really love all that stuff!!

At the weekend we went to the Cape coast castle which is were all the black slaves travelled from which was really interesting! On the sunday we went to a local beach called Anamabo beach- it was like stepping into a carribbean island absolutely stunning! palm trees everywhere nice sandy beaches which were all private was soo nice we watched the sun begin to set absolutely stunning!

Its Ghana independance day on friday so shall be some big celebrations then for us to attend im sure 😊 !

Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb