Needing Advice


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
October 15th 2007
Published: October 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The 4th grade class The 4th grade class The 4th grade class

Even when cutting boards, the mechette is the tool on hand.
Teachers and other Child Development Specialists, I need your advice.

I am at my wits end concerning mathematics in my 2nd grade class. The students are roughly 8-10yrs old. They are able to do simple addition to the level of adding a single digit number to a double digit number. What they are not able to do is fill in the missing digit. For example 3 + ____ = 5. We have reviewed this five times in class with an assignment following. As a class they eventually come around to the correct answer. As their own assignment their answer will be “8” every time! I’ve used finger counting, objects to count, and subtraction as another method. They just don’t change their ways! Is this common for their age and/or level?

This past week I punished 15 boys (most of your class Annie!). At break time they were doing things they have been told not to do - for the past year. I asked them what I should do or say that would help them stop. While waiting for their ideas, I began thinking about one of our own older children. Joe is 20yrs old and in boarding school. Last
Our Poor Tangerine TreesOur Poor Tangerine TreesOur Poor Tangerine Trees

This year our tangerine trees are weighed down with fruit. We had to support their heavy limbs with sticks to keep them from breaking off.
week his entire dorm was under “internal suspension”. They are suspended from attending class but cut the grass in the school compound all day, everyday for a week. Robert, one of our 6th graders, interrupted my thoughts when he said, “give us the punishment that is in your mind.” I just looked at him (chuckling inside) and asked, “are you sure that is what you want?” He answered, “Yes”. So as their punishment I sent them out to cut the grass on the soccer field for one morning. From his desk in the back of the classroom I heard Daniel (Robert’s classmate and friend) let out a sympathetic “Ish” when I spoke the punishment. You won’t find any “lawnmower” in these parts. When you cut the grass in Ghana it’s done with a machete and a lot of man power.

As a people and/or culture, they have “one way” of doing things. To veer from that way to a new way is difficult. They are also very stubborn even as adults. The Ghanaians sweep their house and yard every morning. As their teacher the students must also sweep my yard. Most everyday for the past year I have told
The entire 4th grade classThe entire 4th grade classThe entire 4th grade class

4th graders measuring boards for their rabbit pen.
them, “Please do not sweep the dirt. You only need to pick up or sweep up the fallen leaves.” The next morning they will return and begin the routine of sweeping everything! Last week I threatened my “morning sweepers” that I can also send them to weed the soccer field. Wow! The next day, and everyday since, they have only picked up leaves!

Seeing that this punishment is so effective, I also threatened my 2nd graders that if they make so much noise while I’m teaching the seniors, that I have to come back to them, they will also be weeding. Wow, I LOVE this threat! It works!! My 2nd graders really can behave if I’m not there!

Though very tempting at this point, I don’t think threatening my 2nd grade class with this punishment is the best way to get them to understand their math. So back to my original problem and question, do I stick with this addition until someone understands or move on in math? How important is it? If I should stick with it then I need some other teaching ideas or techniques ‘cause I’m all out of ideas.

On a positive note, I’ve begun giving simple (4-7word), scrambled sentences for older students to unscramble. They found it quite difficult at first but now they really enjoy it! I think it’s a great brain exercise. I found a website where you can make up your own word searches. I’ve made some up with their reading lessons and spelling words. I hope to introduce the word puzzles in the next week.

Are fall colors in full bloom yet? We live in endless summer!
Have a wonderful week.
Christine







Advertisement



18th October 2007

colors
We had our first hard frost this weekend. The maple tree in the front yard is really red now, but the bigger one in the back has just begun to change. Got bacj up to around 70 again today. Wow, don't know about your math problem. Just can't seem to get the 'lights' to turn on, eh? Good luck!

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb