Last days..............


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Western » Swedru
July 6th 2007
Published: July 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our last days in the village were sad yet overshadowed with celebration. Our mum went over the top cooking us ridiculous amounts of food. Continual eating could hardly dent the massive pile. Each day there would be a children waiting outside our bedroom in our courtyard dancing, singing and their new favorite way to greet us - blowing kisses. One little boy who is always there and is one of my favorites is Bright. For the first month we were there he ran away crying but he is no longer scared of the big white ladies. Nights were spent sitting with the elders of the village, helping cook followed by pumping music and dancing. However this would occasionally get out of hand as every child wants to impress us with intricate handstands which have resulted in numerous tears.

Our last day of school was a 'fun day'. We printed off a photo of each class. Many were amazed to see what they looked like. Previously when doing a describe 'about myself' many were unable complete the task. We gave each child some lollies and initially there was a small riot but i pretended to cry and they assembled in 2 lines. We presented some sports equipment then decided the rest of the day we would play games. We had some blue and pink zinc in our bag and i thought it would be funny to put some on my student Silas. We then had the majority of the school lining up for zinc on their faces. We ended up putting their initials on their cheek, lipstick, eyebrows and cat whiskers. This was sharply contrasted against their dark skin and the playground was awash with little clowns. It was very cute. We then played clapping and dancing games with the whole school in a circle. It was exhausting yet really fun. This was stopped when someone decided to do 'stacks on'. When the end of the day came and it was our final assemble it was impossible to prevent the tears. Ours, one lovely teacher Florence and some of the students. We all walked home holding hands. The thought of potentially never seeing some of the kids again is really hard.

On Saturday we went with our mum to a wedding. She had some beautiful, matching lace dresses made for us. She also bought us shoes and jewellery. We then presented her with her present which is a frame with some pictures of the 3 of us and an ornament of 2 white girls hugging. When we walked out later that night she was hugging the ornament. As soon as we got to the wedding our mum was like 'you go you dance'. We are in a way the entertainment. We were joined by a mob of dancing squealing almost moaning women, apparently their way of cheering at weddings. The bride was 3 1/2 hours late (african time) and the ceremony included an 'appeal for funds' in which the bride and groom stood up front with plastic bags to put money in and there was some sort of bid.

Sunday we had a little party. The preperation started at 7am. Our teacher Florence came over with 2 of her nieces to help cook. This took place over coal pots in our courtyard which was alive with activity. We all then went to church. Ghanian church is actually fun with lots of singing and dancing yet during the cermon the majority of the congregation sleeps. One little boy was snoring. After Church we attended a festival with Florence and again we were encouraged do dance. This time in the centre stage of a square arrangement of chairs upon which the entire village was seated.

Sunday night was our party. Everyone was wearing their best clothes. It was our mum, our brothers and sisters, some of the elders, our teacher, 3 of our friends and some random (we always seem to have randoms lurking). It was bazaar it really felt like i was with my family. After dinner the majority of the village kids slowly filled our courtyard and there was a dance circle and dance offs. At the end of the night there was alot of hugging and some crying but we have promised after our travels to return for a night before flying out.

We left our brothers and sisters some Australia t-shirts, some of our clothes we can't fit, some vortex's and some board games. In the eyes of western children small gifts. I think this was the most presents which they have ever recieved and they were absolutley stoked and our mum could not stop hugging us and saying god bless. It made me feel guilty about the piles of presents i have recieved on birthdays and christmases as a child.





Advertisement



10th July 2007

I LOVE DANCE OFFS hahah xxxxxxxxx MISS YOU WOMEN

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb