Workshops, Kakum National Park & Cape Coast


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Western » Sekondi-Takoradi
October 10th 2012
Published: October 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone! I'm so sorry it has taken me this long to update my blog, but here's what I've been up to over the past couple of weeks.

Our first week in Takoradi we were able to meet the staff from the YMCA who we will be working with over the next couple of months. All of the staff and the students are so amazing, it is going to be a blast getting to know everyone! We successfully completed our first task which was to create a workshop on "innovation", to illustrate to the students how to use innovation to help develop a successful business. The students at the Vocational Training Institute (VIT) at the YMCA can choose to study either catering or fashion; although it is a female dominated program, we do have one male student who holds his own quite well being surrounded by all that estrogen day after day! After only spending a short amount of time with the students, I can already tell that it is a group of very bright, intelligent people, and who have more energy than I have ever seen! We have been invited to join their P.E. classes every other Friday morning, and the African sun mixed with the hyperness of the girls makes for a very funny (and extremely sweaty) workout!

Getting to know some of the locals has been one of my favourite parts of living here so far; seeing the familiar friendly smiles everyday on my walk to work, and hearing the giggles of little children as they call out "obruni" (meaning white person) always makes me smile.

Our stay at the workers college has become somewhat like home; we have created a nice routine of a card game and a glass of wine before bed (Dad, you will be happy to hear that I have FINALLY learned how to play euchre)! The nights are cool enough to make for a comfortable sleep, and we have had only one unwanted visitor, who unfortunately was sentenced to death by bug spray (it was a giant spider and when we went down to find someone to kill it for us, his response was "welcome to Africa"). Aside from the frequent power outages (thankfully we do have a generator that USUALLY works) and when our water turns off for days at a time (highest count is up to 4) we have everything we need and are quite comfortable here!

After three weeks in Africa and two weeks in Takoradi, we finally took a day trip to see some of what Ghana has to offer. A few weeks ago we met a lovely man named Reggie who is a taxi driver, he gave us his number and told us to call him if we ever felt unsafe, or needed a ride and he would be there. Wanting to do a couple different things in one day, we thought it best to hire a taxi for the day and not worry about getting around oursleves; we gave Reggie a call and he was there! On our way to Kakum National Park (about 2 hours from Takoradi) we learned that Reggie is married with three kids, two boys and a new baby girl; he had worked for a Scottish man for about a year and a half who was here working with the oil companies, and had met many expats during those days. Reggie's calm, nurturing demenour (and his slow driving) was a welcome relief from the chaos going on around us! After a long, hot car ride we finally arrived at Kakum National Park, home to some of the largest bits of rainforest that are left in West Africa, and where you can walk through the canopy of the trees, 130 feet above the earth. Built by Canadians, assisted by Ghanians and funded by Americans, the canopy walk is a series of suspended bridges which hang from the trees; it allows for a birds eye view of the rainforest, and if you're lucky a glimpse into the delicate ecosystem that lives high above the earth. A little scary at times, but wow, what a view!

Our next stop was in Cape Coast to visit the castle and to hear a little history about the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade; it was an incredible story of death, torture, human suffering and forgiveness. Ghana was home to the largest slave market in West Africa, the coastline is littered with forts built by Europeans which were used as holding cells for people until they were shipped to the Americas; but ended as a gravesite for many. The construction of Cape Coast Castle began in 1653, origionally to be used as a site for gold and timber trade, but later became the last stop before freedom and dignity was ripped away from millions of people. As you stand along the balcony looking out at the Atlantic, the waves crashing against the rocks below, it is hard to think about the misiry so many people endured in that very place. Male and female persons were segregated upon arrival, and after being examined to determine what type of work you would do (labourer, house keeper, nursery attendent etc.), you were ushered into a dungeon where you would be cramped in with 150 other people, no light, surrounded by human waste. After about 6-12 weeks, if you survived, you were ushered out "the door of no return", onto a boat and into a life where you would no loger know freedom. As I walked around the castle, trying to imagine what it would be like to live a life where I was not considered a human being with real thought and emotion, but more so I was a commodity, to be put on auction and sold like cattle, I was struck by just how amazing Ghanian people are to have overcome such a horrible past and be the kind, gentle hearted people I am beginning to call my friends.

The rest of October is filled with programs and activities relating to things such as Global Hand Washing Day, and stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS, so I will keep you posted on all that is going on!

I love and miss you all! xoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th October 2012

Forgiveness and Healing
Wow Alanna, what an education for us as you share your stories. Thank you! The Ghana people are such an inspiration with their ability to forgive and heal from their horrendous past. Their friendliness, eagerness to expand and grow gives me hope as they set the example for other countries and people who have suffered from the hands of humanity. It seems that the students are also great teachers and facilitators as you exchange your talents, skills and knowledge. Bravo!!!! African Blessings, Michelle PS A few weeks ago I heard an African woman speak, Immaculee Ilibagiza who has written several books. She survived the Rwandan genocide. She speaks of the importance of forgiveness. Our African sisters and brothers have much to teach us.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb