Lake Volta


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta
February 24th 2007
Published: February 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just back from Lake Volta - it's a massive lake about 1 and a half hours drive from where I am staying. It has been so hot today so the tro-tro ride there was as uncomfortable as usual. I went with 2 other volunteers and the local boy who I will be helping over the next couple of years. To get to the lake you have to take a taxi to a town called Kpong, which seemed quite normal at 3pm this afternoon. We then went to a hotel called Afrikiko, which is located right on the lake. It's a really nice hotel and from there you can take a boat ride.
There were only 4 of us on the boat so we got good seats and a brilliant view. The scenery is beautiful, and there is a guest house for the President of Ghana situated high up in the hills overlooking the whole lake.
After the boat ride, we had dinner sitting outstide at the lake side. The meal was good and it was the first time the local boy had been to a restaurant. He laughed when he was given a fork and knife because he has only ever eaten using his hands! I'm sure it was all a bit strange to him but he seemed to enjoy it. I felt a bit like a tourist today, but it's my last weekend so decided it was okay.
We left the hotel at about half 6, at which time it was dark. We asked a taxi to take us to the tro-tro station, but we were abandoned on a busy road, which turned out to be the tro-tro station. So there we were; at the side of a busy street, in the dark and not a clue what to do. Every time a tro-tro or bus stopped, there was a stampede of people trying to get on it. There was no way a group mainly made up of white people was going to get near one. A taxi driver offered to take us home but he was trying to charge too much, so after a lot of arguing he agreed to take us for a lower price.
I've mentioned before that the taxi rides are always eventful, but I'm usually only in a taxi for 5 or 10 minutes. The journey back took 1 hour, with the driver doing 100 mph most of the way. There were a few times I am sure he could not see where he was going, and he blasted his horn for no apparent reason. When we finally made it home, he demanded more money but we just walked away. Fortunately, he just drove off. It's probably just because I am used to living in Ho, but it seems a lot safer here than other towns I have been to.
I am going to church tomorrow morning - I've no idea what to expect but it's the last thing on my list of things to do. Only 6 days left....

Advertisement



25th February 2007

Nearly time to come home.
I don't know what we are going to do without your blog entries to look forward to ( not that we don't want you home again though). It's been so exciting checking every day to see what you have been doing, and by all accounts you've done so much, in quite a short time really. We are all very proud of you back home, for everything you have acheived, probably more than you thought you would. I'sm sure it's been the experience of a lifetime, and one you will never forget. Good job you are due home though, because if you were there any longer you would be bankrupt by the time you tried to help everyone.We are all very well off in this country and don't even realise it. Some of your entries have had me in tears, and I just hope that even after you are home we can continue to do something to help some of these poor unfortunate people.I hope you sang well in church today and managed to keep in tune (that'd be a first ha!ha!) Anyway just enjoy your last week in Ghana and don't get too upset saying goodbye to all your new friends. We'll see you soon. Bye.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb