Day Fifty; Thursday, April 24 '08

Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Volta » Ho
April 24th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Woke up and went to Christ Orphanage. Mark, a previous CCS volunteer returned and also went to Christ. He is the first volunteer to actually come back and see the progress that has been made there.

Maria, Diana, Matt, Jahwill and I left Hohoe for the weekend to travel to Benin which is two countries over on the east side of Ghana, right after Togo. We left Hohoe with little time to get to Ho before the border/visa place closed. Diana was feeling really sick. When they finally approved our visas they made us pay a "processing" fee of $5.00 extra. We ran into a missionary there that urged us to take Diana to the hospital. He even gave us a ride in his truck and offered to take us to an American hospital in Togo.

When we got to the hospital Diana was so sick that she could no longer walk. They put her in bed and hooked her up to a gravity IV. Her temperature was 38.1 Celsius which is apparently really high. At the hospital they told us she needed to stay over night so we called Akos and Makafui to see how serious the situation was. This whole time the missionary stayed and continued to be super helpful, offering us all a place to eat and a place to stay. We sent Jahwill home promising that we would also get a ride back to Hohoe and leave the next morning.

Makafui and Akos informed us that they would also be staying overnight in Ho. This really threw a wrench into our plan. They wouldn't be able to take us back to Hohoe so we wouldn't be able to pick up Jahwill in the morning. After some serious thinking we stayed overnight in Ho. We tried to get in touch with someone who could let Jahwill know what was going on but we couldn't find anyone. We decided to call Tonash, our cab driver, to "pick us up" at Jahwill's at 6:00 AM.

Get ready for a craaazy weekend...


Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb