Traffic cop in a t-shirt


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
July 18th 2008
Published: July 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from Tamale, which unfortunately lacks any Mexican food, despite it's name. Have I mentioned how much I am missing a nice big bean burrito these days? We are heading over to Larabanga this afternoon and then on to Mole National Park for a few days of animal watching--elephants, baboons, hyenas, etc. It is nice to get out of Accra once again. Speaking of Accra...

Quick anecdote: Quite frequently the traffic lights will go out in Accra, leaving busy intersections without any sense of order or procedure. Almost as often you will soon see a few teenage boys, with broken off sprigs of leaves from a nearby bush held high in their hands, walk out into the middle of the intersection and start directing traffic. When I asked my cab driver the other day if the government or someone else asks them to do this, he said "No, they just do it. And if you want to give a little something, that's good for them." Almost immediately two of the teenagers began walking down the lines of cars, asking very politely for tips. I didn't give anything, and didn't get so much as a second plea from them. So while I normally hate these "voluntary" services, like the guys in Guatemala who say they will "watch your car" for a small fee, which means "pay me and I won't smash in your windows," or the windshield cleaners in New York, these guys were not pushing you to tip, they were just helping out while the traffic light was down, and if you wanted to give something small, then fine. If not, no problem either. Definitely going to give them a few coins next time to thank them for their sense of civic responsibility, or whatever you call a few kids telling taxis when to stop and go.

Advertisement



19th July 2008

Love the anecdote. I did not tip parking attendant at WT school this AM when I went to get beach sticker and was directed to stay clear of area for Flea market-which is now at WT school as it outgrew Middle Road site. Bet Accra is even more hot and humid than WT this AM.
19th July 2008

Wikipedia does Tamale
Found good photo and text snapshot of Tamale at Wikipedia.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb