First week in Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
June 14th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It's taken a little longer than I hoped to get internet access, but I finally do! The flights were fine. The flight from Amsterdam to Accra was much more comfortable than the first leg from Newark to Amsterdam. Our first day in Ghana we were treated like royalty. We got a police escort from the airport to our lodging at a near by college. The next day we met the Ghana Minister of Education. That night we had a cocktail party at the U.S. Embassy. I think they were just trying to treat us nice because it's the last time we'll get treated like that in two years. I've started to get my regiment of shots. It's going to take a while, and I'll basically be a human push pin by the time I'm done with training. Yesterday we went on "Accra Quest." Basically we were broken into small groups and turned loose to explore Accra with a couple keys points to reach. Another PCT (Peace Corps Trainee) and I started going to wrong way and ended up back at the airport. We ended up getting where we needed to be, but we just wandered for a while. We spent some time sitting a listening to meetings just as we did in Philly. We also got our mosquito nets and first aid kits, which has more stuff than I could ever use in it. I brought way too much stuff. I am currently on my "Vision quest," where we spend five days with a current volunteer to see whats the next two years are going to be like. This morning we took a 12 hour bus ride from Accra to Tamale. Tomorrow I'll get on a bus to Daboya where my vision quest volunteer is. Sorry it is taking so long to get a cell phone. I should get one next week when I reach the training sight Kukurantumi. By the way, Africa is awesome. The sun rises around 5am and sets around 6pm. The people are extremely nice, and the landscape is gorgeous. I miss everyone and I'll try to make another post tuesday when I am back at the Tamale sub office.

Advertisement



15th June 2008

:]
we are all glad to hear that you are having fun and getting your vaccinations! Good luck on with your training we cant wait to hear from you soon! love you The Dickinson's
15th June 2008

Hi!!!
It is so good to hear from you. This was a surprise getting a post today:) I thought we wouldn't hear from you for about 3 weeks. Sounds like you are already starting some exciting adventures. I hope that you take lots of pictures. The boys say hi and that they miss you. They just started summer break on the 13th. Not a whole lot of new stuff going on around here. We miss you and love you and can't wait for another update!!! Be safe:)

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb