Grey Cup in Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
November 26th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Computer HuddleComputer HuddleComputer Huddle

Here we are straining to hear the game over the Internet. It's around midnight local time.
Where were you when the riders won the Grey Cup?

Shawn Fraser, Shawn Hughes and I were in an Internet Cafe in Tamale (Northern Ghana).

The three of us were pumped to find out our beloved Riders made it to the Grey Cup -- and against the bombers none the less.

We decided that even though we are on the other side of the world - we needed to be part of the night the Riders won the Grey Cup.
Earlier in the day I painted my motorcycle helmet Rider Green (despite weird looks from the guy at the bicycle shop who said there was nothing wrong with my helmet --why would I want to paint it?).
We rigged up a watermelon helmet -- and loaded up on chips and popcorn to listen to the game.
We went to the only all night internet cafe in town and streamed the local Regina station covering the game (It was nice to hear familiar voices!)
We were joined by two Canadians (a Eskimo fan who also sported green for the event and a disgruntled Lions fan). We packed into the tiny internet room and huddled around the computer. (Our Dutch
Riders Fans in TamaleRiders Fans in TamaleRiders Fans in Tamale

Green is the colour Football is the game.
roommate also joined us for a short time -- but he was confused despite our drawings of what a football field looks like -- we realize that none of us actually know all the rules of the game).
At one point I remember thinking -- hey this is kind of like what our grandparents had to do....and then on second thought-- it was absolutely nothing like anything our grandparents would have done.
The time difference made us all the more committed to be in for the long haul. Kick off was at 11pm and most of us are now in the habit of going to bed around 9pm -- so a couple cups of coffee later we were good to go.
All in all it was a wonderfully magical evening that we won't soon forget.
I guess it just goes to show that you can take the kids out of Saskatchewan --- but you can't take the Saskatchewan out of the kids.
Congratulations Riders!!! Hope everyone had a wonderful evening ---- and in twenty years we will all remember where we were when the Riders won the grey cup.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

The Ghanaian Rider Booster ClubThe Ghanaian Rider Booster Club
The Ghanaian Rider Booster Club

Nichole Huck, Shawn Fraser and Shawna Hughes. Regina Represent!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb