Wild and not-so-wild life of Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Mole National Park
April 26th 2008
Published: April 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Elephants of MoleThe Elephants of MoleThe Elephants of Mole

When one does a safari - one must wear a safari hat.
When one hears the word ‘safari’ we get excited. We imagine close encounters with dangerous animals, lush tropical plants, and safari hats.

Well --- one out of three ain’t bad. A group of friends and I boarded the morning bus to Mole. It was full so we were crammed into the aisle. I was sandwiched between two men and had a baby at my back. The hours passed quickly and by 9:00 am we arrived at Mole National Park.

Time at Mole is spent watching animals at the watering hole and watching people at the watering hole. We took a morning walk with one of the Park Rangers and saw some of the animals native to the Savannah region. We saw warthogs, monkeys, baboons, elephants and antelope. I’m told there are also lions there -but they are hard to see.

It’s interesting to see animals in the wild. I’ve seen elephants in Thailand walking down the streets of Bangkok begging for food, but to see them in their natural habitat at a watering hole is a very surreal experience.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

PumbaPumba
Pumba

Warthogs run wild in Mole
Feathered Friends ForeverFeathered Friends Forever
Feathered Friends Forever

This is Heathcliff. He is a dove (pigeon) that Shawn gave me for Valentines Day. Heathcliff has this trick where as soon as you leave the house he lands on your head.
Tea Bagged -- 10 pointsTea Bagged -- 10 points
Tea Bagged -- 10 points

There is a ridiculous number of goats walking around Tamale with tea bags hanging out of their mouths. We have turned it into an ongoing game.
Gonja ApplesGonja Apples
Gonja Apples

I tried this new fruit in Damongo - near Mole. It looks like a flower and tastes like an avocado.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb