Mole National Park


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Mole National Park
November 26th 2007
Published: December 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our first major stop in Ghana was the Mole National Park. Home to hundreds of species of wildlife and birds. The campsite is located at the top of a hill overlooking a large watering hole where wildlife comes to drink and bathe. Frequent visitors around our tents included warthogs and baboons. The baboons as we were warned are "terrorists" and will go out of thier way to cause trouble. We often saw them raiding garbage cans and anything else that was left out un-guarded. One particular morning Kathie and I looked out the window of our tent and noticed we were being observed intently by a particularily large baboon. We did our best to stay quiet and not provoke him and he eventually moved on.

On our full day in the park we went for a safari walk with a local guide. We were lucky enough to come within about 20 meters of a couple of elephants near the water hole. Also, while we stood at the edge of the water we could see the eyes of at least half a dozen small crocs. Other wildlife included some green monkeys, bush buck, and cobb. For those who have been to East Africa this probably isn't very exciting, but as our first experience with big game we really enjoyed it. And are definately looking forward to East African game parks in the spring.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

How exciting!How exciting!
How exciting!

Kathie loves the animals!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb