How much? I have no idea


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra
June 5th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ghana recently changed their currency, the Cedi, basically lopping off a bunch of zeros at the end, since 10,000 Cedis had become basically equivalent to $1 US, making relatively cheap items seem astronomically expensive in the local currency ($100 would have been 1,000,000 Cedis). Now, with the new Ghanaian Cedi, issued in January of this year, 1 Cedi is more or less $1, making conversion a lot easier. But this has led to a problem where not everyone measures cost in the same way. For instance, I just bought some biscuits, and the woman at the kiosk told me they costed "5." At first I was ecstatic, 5 Peshwa (.05 Cedi, or 5 cents), for a pack of biscuits seemed incredibly cheap. But when I gave her the 20 peshwa coin she looked at me and said, "No, 50," meaning the packet cost 50 Peshwa. So those are two ways to count that price, but it would be just as common to hear the price stated as "5,000", reflecting the old prices when the cedi was 10,000 to the dollar, or even ".5", most accurate to the new price of one cedi per dollar. And this happens all the time, so basically you've got four different ways the same price can be stated, which can be a bit confusing. Still, no matter what you phrase it as, 50 cents for a big pack of biscuits is still a bargain.

Advertisement



5th June 2008

How much? ... cheaper!
Hey!!! I know what you are talking about, even when here, in Bolivia prices are not so confusing, the prices of some things are a real bargain!! A taxi would charge you aprox $0.50 or even less... that is unbelievable!!! Hope, you are ok... take care and enjoy!!!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb