Cape Coast


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Central » Cape Coast
March 3rd 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Last Days in Accra


My last day of work was on the friday and I was determined to make it the best i could possibly make it. It turned out the matron who i was shown to on the first day and who i regularly talked with was not in, but i wasnt going to leave without achieving what i wanted most- to go into surgery.
I worked in the morning, the normal routine of weighing babies and their mothers and taking blood pressure. I had little to do but watch and keep the babies amused on the couch. When the nurses sat down for their lunch which i was 'invited' to (meaning they offer you some of their food in their hands) I left to ask about surgery. It was around 1pm and i had had nothing to eat and it was very hot but i was determined to scrub up and enter the smallest theatre ive seen. It was one of the most interesting, bewildering and heart racing experiences. With a mask around my mouth and funny rubber shoes on i was boiling and tired but as soon as I saw the uterus of this women nearly outside of her own body adrenilin pumped in me. I couldnt believe my own eyes as i watched Dr.Attoh sew the uterus and then her fat tissue back together.
I had been in scrubs, i had been in theatre and i had seen the uterus and fallopian tubes. It was by far one of the most amazing days having done what i had dreamed of doing, and in Africa. I wrote a thank you card and left it along with the plastic gloves with the matron, this was only a small gesture as i hadn't much to give them but i will have taken a lot from them and im very grateful.


Our last sunday night was spent at Champs, a western resturaunt that served me up a 'HeartAttack' chips covered in chilli con corne and melted cheese! i couldnt finish it. They show really recent films as well so we enjoyed a viewing of 'The Boy in the striped pjamas' and 'Zoolander'.
Monday was spent trying to fit everything we owned, and had jamed into what seemed our tiny bags when we came out, so that they were nearly bursting. Even with an extra handbag i still had trouble fitting!

Tuesday was leaving day. Gideon drove us to a busy busy tro tro station in Accra, and each one of us weighed down with atleast 3 bags wandered -slowly, to the tro tro that we would spend the next three hours on driving to Cape Coast. We had stocked up on biscuits, bought an ice cream and even some rice and chicken just incase we got hungry! Which wasnt the case. I personally thought the journey was over quickly, the others didnt seem to agree. We had no knowledge of where we were going or the name of where we were staying, so when we were randomly, what felt like being thrown out of the trotro, we were left with a number and name- Eric. He came in a taxi to pick us up after 10 minutes of calling him. Me and Caitlin had to hold onto our big bags that were hanging pretty much out of the boot of the car.
We arrived at such a nice house. It was massive compared to the one in Accra and had luxuries like a flushing toilet and a real shower not just a bucket, and best of all no cockroaches in the kitchen. Although later on i found disadvantages to the house as well like not having seats outside.
But for now this was so good, and we met our new housemate Joan. From scotland and has been here since the beginning of January so she knows the people and the places well.

Cape Coast


We live just outside Cape Coast, but the centre is right on the shore and is home to Cape Coast Castle which we took a tour around on Saturday. It was really interesting to learn that this was were thousands of black Africans had been shipped out as slaves to America and the Carribean. We were able to walk into the holding areas and feel the enclosed space around us as we were plunged into darkness. We visited the 'Door of no return' where the slaves would leave for the ships and never come back- kind of obvious from the name. The Castle was host to a cell as well which was a terrifying experience. No windows, no gaps no light. Complete darkness and stifling heat. We were in the cell for no more than 3 minutes, people who were being punished would come here for up to 10 days.

*i will add more but at a later date sorry *

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb