Some things here are just not so different!......


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Central » Cape Coast
March 18th 2008
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post


Dave has found a good male companion in Eddie, fellow volunteer, as he too enjoys his beer and football… so a few times per week we have been meeting up, trying out different “spots”, and hunting for live football on a TV. As we have also been provided with a TV in our house, football and other sport has become far too accessible again, and Dave is watching Golf!! whilst I am writing this. Either that or he’s fallen asleep…which is also reminiscent of his behaviour at home. Eddie is a really nice guy, originating from Ireland, he has lived in Africa and Sweden and has a curious multi-national sing-song accent, and has been a real help and support to both of us. This is his second period of voluntary work in Africa, but the first with VSO. I have totally forgiven him for somehow getting the accommodation we thought we were going to get…and actually it has worked out better for us as we are confirmed “townies”.

People here also seem to have similar attitudes towards local government, seeing it as largely irrelevant to their lives unless it can provide material assistance of some kind, finding it hard to see workers as anything other than bureaucrats who seem to take the longest time to sort issues out or respond to them. This week we attended a meeting of disabled people and were amazed at the size of the audience…about 120 people, given the difficulties even able-bodied people have getting around here, and their skill and willingness to speak up for themselves. It was unfortunate that their main ambition for the meeting was thwarted, as the LG official who attended was not able to provide them with the information they had been expecting about the availability of funding, and who might benefit. He was a lively guy from a social welfare department and I felt he demonstrated considerable concern for supporting them in developing their organisations further, but I expect he will only get their respect when he can demonstrate tangibly that he can deliver something concrete - ideally money!

But plenty is very different too…..
• The dog fights that start as soon as the sun starts going down, when the dogs recover from the heat of the day and suddenly become protective of their territory again.
• The constant approaches by young children, some just fascinated by Obruni ( White man), some being genuinely respectful to their elders, and some who have come to see visitors as being ripe for hassling for “dash”. Some are so tiny you think “Obruni” must be one of their first words.
• The state of the vehicles used for public transport which tend to be shipped here by European countries when they no longer pass any safety standards….and the fact that we suspend all the caution we would show at home, and use them!!! Today we heard of a tro-tro with ‘seats’ (a rather exaggerated term for some of the upholstery torn, planks of plywood I have sat on) for 15 people…actually carrying 32!
• The impossibility of going to a single store to buy all you need..the few stores called supermarkets don’t stock frozen food or fresh fruit or vegetables, and the availability of other goods never extends beyond a couple of aisles, and changes from day to day.
• The constant bombardment of competing musical styles from bars, churches, parties, etc, as making as much noise as possible seems to be an essential ingredient of any social occasion.
• The crows that favour our tin roof, especially as dawn breaks!

Bye for now.

PS. Thanks to all those who have offered to send coffee…I believe there is now some on its way -both via a parcel from Christy, and in the baggage of Sarah who is coming out to visit THIS weekend. Might take up others offers when stocks depleted.




Advertisement



19th March 2008

Sounds like getting to grips with things.......I would love to have a "day in the Life of..." from getting up to hitting the sack.....the daily details of breakfast lunch and tea, minutiae.....radio? world service or local? What is the soundtrack of your life at the moment? Is sarah bringing the spices you longed for????? let me know when you get the first and I will get another parcel going..... half a kilo of stuff easy for a fiver.....Is the address a PO box safe drop? Miss you.......

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb