Kumasi and life in rural Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Ashanti » Kumasi
August 4th 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We headed up to Kumasi after a near sleepless night - 4am wake-up to make the 6am bus. The bus from Accra to Kumasi took about 5 hours and was like any tour bus you'd imagine in the UK. (only that the driver was getting a little over-excited with the air conditioning as it was freezing)

On arrival in Kumasi we had a mini-orientation type thing of the city before meeting up with our host families. After chatting to my host, and seeing other volunteers leave for their placements (most looked quite frightened!), i headed for a tro-tro station (mini-bus) and left for Amoawi - which would be my new home for the next 4 months.
On being shown my room i eventually decided to take an early night after near to no sleep the night before. The next morning i would try to get to know the other residents of the house:
The house is owned by Mrs Gyaama, who was very friendly and talk-attive - only she didn't speak any English whatsoever so i was just looking at her blankly. The rest of the house is rented out to the teachers and sometimes some of the students. All the other teachers were in their early/mid 20s and easy to talk and get along with (if i talk fairly slowly anyway - English is most peoples second language after Twi)
My hosts name is Mr Alex - known by most as CM (centre manager). Hes been really good and helped my settle down easily in the village and meet lots of people. He also likes his games! (droughts, monopoly, cards, bantumi etc)
My room consists of a bed, two tables, two chairs, electricty and a fan. Theres no running water in the building, but water seems to be fairly easily obtained - although for a few weeks i had no idea where from! Water is also collected though an assortment of strategically placed buckets to collect rain water.

On the monday after the weekend I started my placement at the School - Amoawi ICCES - meaning Integrated Community Centre for Employable Skills ( i think!?) The main purpose of the School is to train local youth in skills to make them employable locally eg// masonary, electricals, dressmaking etc. My role is mainly to teach Maths and English to all the students during School hours 8-3. When im not teaching I try and obtain funding for the School and promote the School to prespective students. Ages of students range from 16-24.
I started teaching Classes on the first day working at the School which was an interesting experience. The first leason was English where i had to explain different types of nouns and verbs (eg pro-nouns etc) - Not something i know much about! And given each lesson is 90 mins long - it was quite a challenge. Needless to say it didnt't take me too long to change the subject and talk about the World Cup. Maths lessons were a bit easier! Eventually i got hold of a text book and the syllabus - making teaching easy!

Most of my evenings so far have been filled up by playing games and meeting so many people around the community - Its so hard to keep track of who everybody is. However everybody knows me seeing as im the only white person for miles around. Luckily most people dont seem too offended when i foirget their names. As for games ive played so much cards since ive been here. They also love my mini - monopoly set i brought up - though most are still confussed how a game can last so long!
Ive also been frequenting a loacl bar in Offinso with my host every few days or so. A big bottle of Star Beer (660ml) costs 7,500 cedis (40p) - which is not bad at all. Theres also a pool table outside which has been good particulary seeing as the loser pays!

The food at the placement has been really good and ive been cooked 3 meals a day when im around the house - all which is really nice.

Also every Ghanian ive met so far loves 2 western artists - Westlife and Celine Dion. Most seem quite offended when i say i dislike both - but hey they've got to learn some time. Local Ghanian music on the other hand is really good!

Anyway, till next time
Ash x


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd November 2006

ipod
didn't you try to re-educate their musical tastes with your i-pod???

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb