co-exist peacefully


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Ashanti » Kumasi
July 26th 2008
Published: July 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

on july 23rd we drove to kumasi from bolgatanga. i think it took about 6-7 hours. on the way we stopped at the water falls & a monkey santuary. we were able to feed the monkeys, so i got some really great pictures. we stayed at the kumasi catering guest house. it was really nice except in our room the hot water didn't work & the other night kim and i stayed up til 2am trying to kill these huge spiders that were taking over our room. we went to bed without killing the really big one. i woke up the next morning, opened my suit case and there it was... i freaked out. thank god kim killed it. so the 24th we went to the weaving center, a school (finally!!!), a print/weaving place, the craft center & then walked around town before dinner & bed. actually the 24th was the spider night. anyways...at the school we visited this little girl about 11 years old asked me why my skin was so light and hers was so dark. it completely threw me off & i didn't know how to answer it. my professor said she probably hasn't seen a white person before. like i said before...a lot of people look at us like we're aliens, its crazy. at the print/weaving place, there was a school right next to it and there was this girl who i could tell was a special needs child. and it was just really sad because she had her dress on inside out & i just thought of all the help she probably needs and doesn't get because there aren't really any systems put in place like our special education system in the US. it honestly broke my heart. anyways...july 25th we moved to another guest house because it was cheaper than the other place. we now have hot water!! after that we went to buy pencils & pens because we planned on visiting an all girls boarding school. everyone was charging way too much for them so i kept getting mad. no one would bargain either so i just kept walking away from the sellers. it would be cheaper to buy them in the US and ship them here. after all that we arrived at the school just to find out that the girls are on vacation. so we went to the ashanti palace museum and another craft center. last night i was sooo sick i was ready to come home. thank god i feel a little better today. today we had a free morning & in the afternoon went to lake bosumtwe. it was nice. some of the girls went swimming, but the rest of us didn't. we ate some food at one of the restaurants right on the lake & came home where i found kim (she was sick too) in bed watching the movie we are marshall with no sound. haha...so we watched the rest of it, had dinner & now we're here. we're leaving in the next 10 minutes, maybe to go over to the first place we were staying at to see a live band. should be pretty fun, i'm looking forward to it. tomorrow we leave kumasi to drive to cape coast. we were told it would take 4 hours to get there, so i'm expecting 8. haha. thanks to everyone who has been leaving me messages, it means a lot. see you all very soon.

ps-mom & dad you better have cheerios in the house when i get home!! i miss cereal

cary dont forget my list of requests!! thank you!!

<3 me

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb