What would *YOU* do?!


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Ashanti » Kumasi
July 12th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Question: What do you do when someone puts their hands in your food?

Answer: Nothing! You eat it or you starve because peoples’ hands are *always* in your food!

Hahaha, I was just amusing myself this morning when I was thinking about how many things I would not find normal at home. The hands in the food is the one that seemed the strangest to me. I was served my oatmeal for breakfast and my host mom felt the need to stick her finger in it to try it and see if it needed more sugar. Now, if I didn’t see the way that my daily fufu and soup were made, I might have been surprised. But as it is, I just went ahead and ate my breakfast. Now the question is: what would you do?!

The other thing that I find funny is the way people yell for one another. I remember when I was a little girl and my dad had gotten a two-story house. He would ask me to call my sister for dinner, etc., and I would just yell up the stairs, “REBECCAAAAA!” He would then tell me that he meant for me to *go* and get her, that I shouldn’t yell. Ooooooh, how different things are here. Every morning is filled with my host mom calling “ADWOA!” (that’s me!) “OKO!” (that’s my brother) “KOFI or ALA!” (that’s my other brother) “FAUSTINA!” (that’s my oldest sister) “AMA!” (that’s my youngest sister) or “THADIUS!” (that’s my last brother). It kills me because when she calls, you come—otherwise she just continues to call you until you do. Sometimes they don’t come, but they choose to respond by also yelling back, which only creates more noise. This is all in addition to the town radio, the house radio, the screaming children, the Muslim prayer, and the other conversations going on in the house. Oh goodness—sometimes I think my head is going to explode!

Oh, there was something else I wanted to write about, but now I have forgotten it!

I guess I could write about the children yesterday at school—they were just hilarious. Friday is for worship (it’s a Catholic school) and the weekly quiz. I don’t know what sort of chaos was going on this Friday, but worship took longer than usual, so the kids were late starting their morning break, so we let them have break for longer. During the break there was this one little boy, Julian, from the Kindergarten class, who was dancing like he was possessed while the other boys were playing the drums. I thought it was just hilarious—this kid is always so cute and says, “Good morning, Madame” to me about two dozen times a day—regardless of whether it is really morning or not! Anyway, he then started playing with some chalk, so to be funny, I put some chalk dust in his hand. He then put that chalk covered hand on his forehead and danced like that—with his hand on his forehead, but he was still “possessed”. This went on for about 20 or 30 minutes, during which time I had given many of the children chalk with which they had drawn tribal designs on their faces with. They were all dancing and running around—I almost pissed myself laughing! It was surely a sight to see! I only wish that I had brought my camera to school that day!

Here is my closing for now, best wishes for those at home or other places in the world!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb