Pancake Wednesday!


Advertisement
Gambia's flag
Africa » Gambia » Upper River » Basse Santa Su
February 23rd 2012
Published: February 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lilli and I decided that on Tuesday this week it would be a good idea to cook pancakes for my compound, it being Pancake Day and all. At the weekend we went to the market to buy the ingredients but left the eggs to buy till Tuesday so they would be nice and fresh. Big mistake apparently. On Tuesday we were all excited at the prospect of pancakes with spready cheese, onion and tomato followed by more pancakes with bananas and chocolate spread only to find out that Basse had completely run out of eggs. Of all the times! Usually eggs are the one thing you can reliably get. After searching all over the town Pancake Day had to be cancelled. We found out that the delivery from Senegal had all been rotten so the whole lot had had to be thrown out. Why The Gambia can’t produce its own eggs baffles me. There are enough chickens running around! Fed up we had to come back to the compound and tell them all the sad news. Both Samba and Fatou went out looking for some in the vain hope that they would know someone with a hidden stash but no luck.
SambaSambaSamba

probably think what the hell is this they've just given me.
We had to eat stew and fish balls instead.



All was not lost though. At 10 o’clock Lilli had a phone call from a friend saying he’d found a shop with some still in stock. The last remaining eggs in Basse! Lilli asked him to reserve 10. Very happily she picked them up from work yesterday and carried them carefully back nursing them like a mother hen. It was pancakes all round. I think my compound were a bit miffed at the idea of them but seems to enjoy them none the less. I think they were a hit. Lilli and I even started considering setting up our own pancake stall. I think The Gambia is ready for it! And it’s official, spready cheese, onion and tomato pancakes are a winner!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

TakoTako
Tako

Looking much more impressed as she does a little pancake dance.
Yummy yummy yummy!Yummy yummy yummy!
Yummy yummy yummy!

I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed pancakes so much.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb