Banjul, The Gambia


Advertisement
Gambia's flag
Africa » Gambia » District of Banjul » Banjul
April 30th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Crew AuctionCrew AuctionCrew Auction

After a couple days at sea, there was great attendance for an auction to raise extra money for the 400+ crew that would not traditionally interface with the guests. As our cruise is all-inclusive, most guests only tip their stewardess or butler, and maybe a favorite server.
Well, we have spent 3 nice days at sea and arrived in Banjul about 10:00am. A couple days ago the ship had an auction to raise extra money for the crew. There were tons of items donated by passengers and creative items that Jamie and other members of the staff put together. It was a resounding success! They raised somewhere in the range of $30,000 to divide between most of the 450 or so crew members that we interact with and those do not see, like engine room and laundry personnel, to name just a couple.

Banjul, formerly known as Bathurst, and officially named the City of Banjul, is the capital of The Gambia, and is in the division of the same name. Banjul is on St. Mary’s Island (Banjul Island), where the Gambia River enters the Atlantic Ocean. The island is connected to the mainland by passenger and vehicle ferries to the north and by bridges to the south.

Banjul takes its name from the Mande people who gathered specific fibers on the island which were used in the manufacture of ropes. Bang julo is the Mande word for fiber. The mispronunciation led to the word Banjul, or,
Standing Room OnlyStanding Room OnlyStanding Room Only

Jamie did a fabulous job running the auction in the atrium area on Deck 4.
Banjul is the Mande word for fiber.

In 1816, the British founded Banjul as a trading post and base for suppressing the slave trade. It was first named Bathurst after Henry Bathurst, the secretary of the British Colonial Office, but was changed to Banjul in 1973.

On July 22, 1994 Banjul was the scene of a bloodless coup d’etat in which President Dawda Jawara was overthrown and replaced by the country’s current President Yahya Jammeh.

Banjul has a very warm climate year round. The Gambia enjoys virtually uninterrupted sunshine and high daytime temperatures with almost no rainfall between November and June. Banjul is the country’s economic and administrative center and includes the Central Bank of The Gambia. Peanut processing is its principal industry, but beeswax, palm wood, palm oil, and skins and hides are also shipped from the Banjul port.

Today was another one of those rare days that Doug and Annette signed up for different tours. Doug was doing the Off the Beaten Track-Four Wheel Adventure. Annette was initially going to do it but decided that riding in an open vehicle for 5 ½ hours wasn’t the best choice, so she changed to Banjul Highlights.
Going, Going, GoneGoing, Going, GoneGoing, Going, Gone

As Jamie bids up one of the auction items, J.R., Elda and several of the entertainers prepare to log the winner.


Doug departed the pier in the open-air vehicle about 12:00. We went through parts of town and then headed into the rural area where we were able to stop at a grade school. This was an amazing treat! We got to see the classrooms and sit in one while one of the teachers explained how they taught the children. The children came in and sang a couple songs, then several of them danced for us. After that we drove to a communal house where our guide explained that the man of the house was married to a couple women, even though he was a Muslim, which is against their religion. An interesting arrangement!

Then we went to the Leybato Sunrise Beach Bar & Restaurant where we got to relax, have a beverage and hang out on the beach. We made one last stop at the Tanje Village Museum where we walked around and saw some of their earlier culture, how they lived in huts within the village, and one guy was giving a demonstration on an interesting weaving machine. We then made our way back to the ship.

Annette also had a fun tour doing the Banjul
The Chef Jacket is NextThe Chef Jacket is NextThe Chef Jacket is Next

Our favorite chef from Prime 7 last year has had all of the kitchen staff autograph her jacket. The Executive Chef is standing next to her.
Highlights. They had an orientation drive through Banjul. They then drove to Bakau where they stopped for refreshments before heading to the Bakau Craft Market. Annette met a delightful young woman and asked how they would treat a friend that was very ill. The lady literally took a special Juju that she had hidden in her shop for protection and gave it to Annette. Juju can not be sold. The tradition requires that it be given to someone. After browsing the market, Annette met another beautiful lady that had recently had a baby. After asking her about her special healing, the young woman showed her a special cowrie shell belt that she was wearing to help her healing. At one time many years ago, cowrie shells were even a form of currency in Africa and go all the way back to adorning the tombs of the Pharohs. She was able sell Annette one just like hers. Her name was Afia, which means a friday child, similar to Annette.

Following that they continued to the Katchicaly Crocodile Pool to visit the resident crocodile, Charlie, who had been featured in a British television documentary. They also visited the Banjul Albert Market
The Captain and GMThe Captain and GMThe Captain and GM

Captain Mario, Michael the General Manager, and Stephanie, Michael's wife are offering a package of things to auction, like dinner in the Captain's Suite and Stephanie offering a private singing.
where one can purchase everything from live chickens, vegetables and even toupees. Then they returned to the ship where the vendors on the pier were still going fast and furious prior to our sailing at 6:00. Annette and I walked through the vendors that were spread all over the pier.

Well, we depart the continent of Africa this evening for a day at sea. We have had an outstanding time and experienced many wonderful things during our stay in Africa and look forward to our return in the future.



Additional photos below
Photos: 103, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Her New DoHer New Do
Her New Do

Annette is modeling her new longer hairdo...beautiful.
The Happy TravelersThe Happy Travelers
The Happy Travelers

Off to a formal night, we have our photo taken in front of the flowers in the atrium.
Bob and SandraBob and Sandra
Bob and Sandra

They were at another table in Prime 7 this evening. They are the consumate travelers! And she is nicknamed "click-click". One of the few people on the ship that takes more photos than Doug.
Dinner at Prime 7Dinner at Prime 7
Dinner at Prime 7

This evening we joined Pinky, John, Kerry and Pat for a great dinner.
The Happy DinersThe Happy Diners
The Happy Diners

The happy travelers at Prime 7.
Our Security TeamOur Security Team
Our Security Team

One of the prizes of the auction was a last dinner with the 5 young Israeli commandos that were on the ship to protect us from pirates during our areas of concern. They are getting off the ship very soon and heading home. They were having dinner in Compass Rose.
Breakfast with Kevin and SusanBreakfast with Kevin and Susan
Breakfast with Kevin and Susan

Before arriving at Banjul, we had breakfast on the back deck together.
Arriving at BanjulArriving at Banjul
Arriving at Banjul

We are preparing to dock and the buses are ready. a
Big Fishing BoatsBig Fishing Boats
Big Fishing Boats

On the other side of the pier are 3 big fishing vessels that have brought their catch in to offload. a
It Takes a Crane!It Takes a Crane!
It Takes a Crane!

A crane has to lift these huge fish from the hold. a
My Oh My!My Oh My!
My Oh My!

Check out the size of them! a
Huge Tuna!Huge Tuna!
Huge Tuna!

These look like huge tuna! a
Our Open-Air CaravanOur Open-Air Caravan
Our Open-Air Caravan

Shortly after noon we departed the pier in these open vehicles.
Elizabeth and BobElizabeth and Bob
Elizabeth and Bob

Annette catches them in the front seat of one of our vehicles. a
School GirlsSchool Girls
School Girls

Two school girls in uniform.
ToughTough
Tough

Makes you cringe seeing areas like this.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb