HEAT


Advertisement
Gambia's flag
Africa » Gambia » District of Banjul » Banjul
April 24th 2009
Published: April 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

as the rainy season approaches it is SO HOT here. i used to have to wear a fleece at night. now i sleep on top of my covers.

i forgot to put this in my last entry-on tuesday when mr gaye was talking about pollution, he talked about the dumping ground. for those of you who aren't in the gambia (i guess that's everyone), the dumping ground is literally a giant field full of trash. it's the gambia's version of a landfill. and they burn the trash to get rid of it. this is right next to abc 1. mr gaye was talking about how a lot kids who live around the dumping ground have cancer. and he said it like a matter-of-fact as i sat in the back of the class open-mouthed. so sad.

after talking to kate on tuesday i started playing with the idea of joining peace corps after college. the idea of being sent to some remote corner of the world for 2 years is incredibly appealing to me. so who knows? i have four years to figure it out.

on wednesday i went to abc 1 by myself in the morning. jarry had left early because she needed to be there early. there were no problems, except i was with the two worst drivers ever. i was with grade 2. only half the class was there, because i guess everyone else is on holiday. i corrected lots of things. one little boy is so cute, but always looks sad and understands very little. i'll point a word out to him and tell him it's the wrong answer. he'll go back to his seat for a while, and come back having changed nothing. at 2 i waited with jarry until 3 when most of the kids had left. then we went home. i took my walk, met some peace corps, and came home.

thursday i was with grade 3. i love hanging out with mrs umweni, and i correct the kids' work. one girl, Fatou, is the most stubborn child i've ever met. she came up and wanted help with her math. so i asked her if she wanted to understand it. she just looked at me (a normal reaction from her). i told her that if she didn't want to learn it, she wasn't going to learn it. if she thinks she can't do it, she isn't going to be able to do it. so then i asked her if she wanted to learn it and she nodded her head. so i did two problems with her and sent her back to do the rest. she came back later, and all the problems were right. go figure. this is the girl who left half her exams blank. pe was fun with them. i made them run races and by the end they were all exhausted except for one boy who has endless amounts of energy. i went home on thursday and checked my e-mail.

i found out about housing for college! i got my first choice. Farrand RAP. RAP is a program where i have to take a class in my dorm building. my roommate's name is Annie Vlosich. we've been talking on facebook and are pretty much the same person. so i'm really excited to meet her.

i couldn't sleep last night for some reason, which sucked. so this morning i woke up late (8:00) and ran to get ready. i left at 8:20. on the way i met christian again! turns out we're next-door neighbors and have been for two months. go figure. he told me where the church is, so i'm gonna go find it and attend service on sunday. and then he and i are going to go get coffee and hang out when he gets back from senegal. i was with grade 4 today. i translated harry potter (i'm on chaper 8) and taught english. it was the first time i've seen mr jobe since senegal. he's still the best teacher at this school, and i love being in his class. and it wasn't that awkward. and now i'm home!

the end for now.
and i miss rain.
and mango season has started, and it's my new favorite season. fall, winter, spring, and summer are great and everything, but mango season is super tasty.

Advertisement



24th April 2009

summer is here!
so its like april 24 and it feels like summer here at the university of dayton in dayton ohio. It is awesome i spent two hours lying outside in the sun waiting to go to work to find that oh we're going to focus lights ( i work in a theater btw) and then he's letting us go because its so freakin' nice out! woo! Exams for me start on monday and i go home saturday. Schools done on may 1st and its summer for me for 4months! woo! i love how your in africa. its awesome. <3
25th April 2009

Calumet
So i'm listening to Itunes my music and i just realized i had a song i recgonized and it go to the chorus and guess what song it is??? One way Jesus! oh camp love it and miss it.
25th April 2009

Ya know...I'm getting to an uncomfortable level of jealously towards you...;). I understand the heat thing kinda, apparently it got up to 93 today and I was singing in a church for 2 1/2 hours, definitely thought I was going to pass out. But I'm sure it's muchh hotter there so sorry for complaining, feel free to yell at me haha. I love hearing about the kids you teach! They all sound so cute, pleeeease tell me you're taking pictures. I seriously can't wait to see you, like I read this and I just miss you like hell, come back to mee! Even though you're going to camp when you get back (grr). Ok, I'm going to stop rambling now, glad you're making friends and having fun, love you!
26th April 2009

meeting yourself
hey doob. i love the idea that you find yourself in africa on some street corner and who do you run into but...yourself! lovely! i like hearing about all this drumming everywhere, it seems to permeate the air no matter where you go, an underscoring to your daily life? i am curious to hear about church. I am longing for mango and custard! the sox have beat the yanks in two very action packed games. Game three is today. Saw "Funny Girl" with Leel last night. That's cool about Farrand! I think that's near the UMC and the Music School. love you. ud
27th April 2009

HEAT here too
Yes, another comment from your mom about the weather. It has been like summer here, in the 80s every day. If you come home to this, you will feel like you are still in Africa! We are counting the days until you are home. Duncan figures it out mathematically of course. Red Sox are playing awesome; they beat the Yanks the first of 3 in extra innings, yesterday afternoon (in a game that didn't end until almost 9pm!) 16-11, and tonight they are playing at 8, still scoreless. Leigh is at the game tonight with her friend Lindsey and her parents. The little monster girl comes on Thursday along with the ever-handsome ROON, we are quite excited. Hallie dropped off two gates and so we are all set. Many dog walks and much neck biting and face chewing. Glad you like your roommate, we didn't have the option of creeping anyone on facebook, wrote letters back in forth (long-distance was expensive!) and hoped for the best. We love you and miss you; glad you are enjoying mango season!! xoxoxo mom

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb