Concrete jungle


Advertisement
Africa » Gabon
October 7th 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Last time I crossed the equator I got robbed, threatened, tricked, fooled and deceived (all in the town of Muarabungo, Indonesia ), so I felt a bit reluctant to leave the safe homely northern hemisphere for the southern one. The road from the Cameroonian border post heading south was an impressive showpiece in advanced engineering. Through the dense, sticky and humid rainforest, along raging riv... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Congolese boyCongolese boy
Congolese boy

On his way home with his father. Accompanying us in the break-down-car. Ndende.
Lush steelLush steel
Lush steel

Old steel bridges span the jungle rivers that cross the south Gabonese countryside like stripes on a zebra. Walking towards the southern border with Congo.
A day at the marketA day at the market
A day at the market

The Central market at Libreville is always in a traffic jam, much thanks to the traffic police that walk around with automatic rifles on their back, kicking and screaming at the drivers and demanding bribes. How efficient.
Things they eat 1Things they eat 1
Things they eat 1

Sour fruits and leafes make up the food for the poor and a few vegetarians passing by. Southern Gabon.
Things they eat 2Things they eat 2
Things they eat 2

The carnivores eat anything that moves, here's a small gazelle, shot somewhere on the southern plains. In the background a not to happy rooster can easily be spotted. Lambarene.
The doorThe door
The door

An Nigerian immigrant lived here and ran the only barber shop in town, he was most very friendly to us and gave me some advice about going to Congo. Ndende.
A crashed carA crashed car
A crashed car

The potholes in the road are cause for many carcrashes. This north of Lumbarene.
A mandatory shotA mandatory shot
A mandatory shot

Expensive Libreville bring some advantages, for example; Our first toilet with hot water. Mission Liebermann, Libreville.



2nd November 2006

Missing sound...
It was supposed to be a suprice, though I couldn't keep it for my own! (you know me, never really had that patience) I've start recording your story. Reading it (with my broken brittish accent) and provide it with enchanting sounds of my african imagination. I want it to be read, spoken and heard by the unwitting! It would be a nice contribution to the "SoundBooks" of today. Sorry for not asking of your permission first, I must been astonished by your stanza (my way of feeling your stories). If you don't like it, I wont continue my work, otherwise it would be something to re-record with your voice when you come back..... Big Love and hollow happiness from your always smiling little sister...
8th November 2006

Splendid writing and photos!
I could not stop reading your blog until there was no more. Your detailed observations, the information you gather, and the way you put it all together is brilliant! I also love your writing style. In my opinion, yours is one of the 3 best blogs at travelblog. Thanks for spending the time and money required to share your adventures with your fans. If you can manage, please keep writing.
24th July 2010

My God
Man, you are my hero. I was that close to buy a ticket to go there with my wife. I guess, Gabon will have to wait until next year maybe, so I can go there alone.

Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 36; qc: 163; dbt: 0.1586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.6mb