You're a Ferengi - We're getting you outta there..!


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Benishangul-Gumuz Region » Asosa
June 3rd 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left for a short break in Addis about 3 weeks ago and while we were away the security situation in Assosa worsened so the rest of the VSOs in Assosa were recalled to Addis too.

For the last 2 and a half weeks we have been a little unhappy family of "fugees" at the Yonas hotel in Addis. Every few days we have an update meeting and every few days we have to wait for news whether we will be allowed back.

I cannot discuss the situation in detail because of VSO blogging rules but with the rainy season closing the airport and also the road between Assosa-Nekemte closed due to troubles, VSO feel it is not safe yet for us to go back.

What will happen is that 4 of the 11 volunteers will be allowed to go back temporarily to assess the situation for a few days and then return to Addis to report back.

As you can imagine, we came to Addis for a few days of holiday and an HIV & AIDS workshop so we didn't pack for a recall to Addis. With 4 shirts and underpants to my name, no laptop, no memory sticks, no books and so on and staring at the same 4 walls of the hotel room we are going a little stir crazy.

Fortunately I have solved the underpant issue by wearing them inside out. Next week will be back to front. After that I'm in trouble...

Come to Addis to get ill

We are getting fat on the ferengi food. And are a bit sick of it now. Give us taga beano, shiro and injera any day!

Addis is much more expensive to live, though we get an extra 60 birr/day per diem. Given that us ferengis pay more than Ethiopians for everything (taxis, shopping, beer, food, clothes) we are rapidly eating into what savings we had in Assosa.

Also the water shortage in Addis, reflected in many parts of the country, means that not only is the power off virtually every other day now, but the water quality is poor and I have had "The Trots" twice in a week now from accidentally drinking the water (in juices). Sara is ok as her anti-malarials are doxycycline - an antibiotic - and she also took the cholera jab before she came (which I didn't) - so her guts have stood the test. She has also avoided the nasty cold I caught and am still getting to the end of.

Anyway, its not all doom and gloom. We had a great party for Sara's birthday at Delicious Dishes, though it seems it may be the last time we all get together as a group. Sara has shopped till she dropped - I bought her new jeans, blouse and jean jacket for her birthday.

Bekema has been a great friend and took us out to Debre Zeit (90 mins south east of Addis) to see the lakes on Sunday. We hope to catch up with him again and maybe see the new Indiana Jones film if it comes out here. Sara saw a chick flick with Ruth and Lesley last week in the cinema - a real treat. Not quite the Assosa showcase but good nevertheless 😉

It has been good to catch up with all the VSOs from Addis and the ICT (In Country Training) guys we met in February who were here for various workshops over the last few weeks.

Izoh! (be strong)

So we hope to get back to Assosa soon and end this limbo in Addis.

With various power/internet outages we are sorry if communications take ages and we do not reply to your emails or private messages. Likewise we cannot pick up post as it is 700kms away in Assosa. Hope this update finds you well and healthy!

As Steven (fellow VSO Assosa fugee) suggested as a title and with reference to an old M*A*S*H one-liner as the doctors come under fire...evacuate...? I already have...









Advertisement



8th June 2008

Hi Sara and Al, just read your blog which explains why you havent been able to email. Glad they are keeping you safe, even if it means more wear and tear on the underpants. It must be very frustrating to be stuck in Addis and I hope you can get back to Assosa soon. All our love Jan and Al xx
15th June 2008

Hope you are both OK and surviving stir-craziness, pants crises and the trots (umm, not a good combination!) It must be very frustrating. I hope you get some good news about the situation soon.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb