Gondar – Day 56


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Amhara Region » Gondar
November 8th 2007
Published: November 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The morning plan was to visit the Royal Enclosure which included a 6 castles, of which Fasilidas’s dating from 1640 was the best example, together with other disused and half ruined buildings. These included a judiciary hall, a chancery, a music hall and impressive stabling. This complex had been used by the Italians during their occupation from 1936 - 41 and had suffered bombing by the British forces which, sadly, had broken up various parts.

Fortunately for Gondar, the accuracy of the bombing left a little to be desired! But no grudge is felt - so they told us. We had the most charming guide to show us around who told us so much about the Ethiopian way of life, its history and culture, and we all really enjoyed his company. The afternoon was spent catching up with ourselves, and writing blog fodder and trying to get it off onto the net. Please be patient - dear reader - getting the words off is not too difficult but getting pictures off is almost impossible. When we can do so we will send pictures, but who knows when. Ian and I spent nearly two hours in an internet café without managing to get one picture away. Such a shame as we have some stunning ones we feel we would like to share with you.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb