Khartoum to Addis


Advertisement
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
February 1st 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ethiopia I left Khartoum in convoy with my German and Welsh friends and we took the tarred main road South East with the landy in the lead and cruising along at a comfortable pace. The plan was to cover about 500km, aiming for Gedaref and then pull off somewhere just before the city and free camp near the road. Unfortunately one of the little girls of the German couple developed a high fever and ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 60, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




1st February 2010

Lake Turkana
I know this is random but I read this entry and thought you might appreciate advice. I've been overland to lake Turkana and have traveled on two routes around there. I traveled up from Nairobi through maralal and into layongolani and all the way up past/through Sibiloi national park into a tiny village called Ileret on the Ethiopian border. My return trek went through North Horr and into Marsabit and back down on the main highway (A2). I did it all on my own with no guide so I am not sure how similar our trips will have been. but I will say both routes are stunning in their own right. The trek from Marsabit to Lake Turkana is about 1 full day and it is completely desolate. Beautiful but the Chelbi desert is part desert, part martian landscape. The trek from Ileret to layongolani is through Sibiloi National park which is sort of a desert oasis with lots of wildlife (they say even lions and cheetahs.) You'll see a lot of beautiful landscape and antelopes if you stay close to the coast of lake turkana. Also, the trip from layongolani to the south is equally beautiful. it will take 3 full days driving to get from Sibiloi to Nairobi but every day will be gorgeous. Lake turkana on one day with deserts and oasis. Desert and grassland on day two between lake turkana and maralal. And highlands/grasslands with the stunning great rift valley on day 3. I know this is random and choppy but you might find it useful. FYI, look for fossils in Sibiloi. The place is littered with them!
2nd February 2010

Thanks!
Thanks for the info mate. At the moment I'm in Awasa waiting on some friends. If they can make it in by tomorrow then we will aim for the Omo valley / Sibiloi / layongolani / Maralal. Otherwise I will prob head straight for Marsabit from Moyale and maybe do a couple day trip up from the South as you have done. Thanks again! c
2nd February 2010

Nice photos
It seems you are getting better at taking photos. Nice one.
3rd February 2010

Hey bro. Sounds like you're having an amazing time. I'm sooo jealous. Any chance of you doing it again with your sis when she's done with the phd in 2 years? :P Hope to catch you online sometime!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb