A Day of Adventure


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
April 25th 2009
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a large breakfast buffet we bravely set out determined to find the Former Women Firewood Carrier's Co-op AND we decided to walk. Hence the adventure.
First, we needed to cash traveler's cheques. Note to travelers to Addis Ababa: don't bother bringing traveler's cheques! Not that it is impossible to cash them. Just be prepared to witness the most interesting first-hand account of bureaucracy in action. After following directions through the back gate of the Hilton compound, and across the street of neverending traffic, we found the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia (apparently the ONLY bank that will cash the cheques). We were lead to the appropriate desk in the inner sanctum of the bankers only to find out the cheques could not be cashed without the purchase receipt (even though we were told at the point of purchase to never have the cheques and purchase receipt together). However, we were also told by Katrinka's sister Trish to expect this. If only we remembered that little piece of advice. We hustled back across the never ending traffic (traffic included donkeys, by the way), through the Hilton's back gate and to our room, retrieved the receipts and repeated the process. Success (after many forms were filled out and filed).


Now, to the Former Women Firewood Carrier's Co-op. Shortly after exiting the hotel's main gate, we were befriended by a small troop of "shoe shiners". The profession was apparently a multi-faceted one; once we refused a shoe shine (Katrinka was wearing her Berk's, Brian his tennies), they appointed themselves our personal guides. The further we walked, the more apparent it became we weren't going to shake them. We tried ducking into a church. They waited outside. Their English was quite good, and they chatted happily with us about everything from Michael Jordan to the history of World Wars. Katrinka also got a brief lecture about Abraham Lincoln. As we passed the National Museum, we instantly decided that this was the day to visit. We enjoyed the museum very much and were a bit of a display ourselves to the school children visiting. As we were leaving, we asked the staff at the information desk about the Former Women Firewood Carrier's Co-op. None were familiar with it, but they did feel strongly that we visit Church Hill Road instead. The museum director even elected a member of his staff to escort us. Our escort was Natnael, a museologist who was very impressed with Katrinka's experience in the field. Natnael not only got us to a great little shop, he helped negotiate fair prices (I think we definitely did not pay the farenge rate) and got us back to the hotel. Lesson number two for the day: even the locals have difficulty with cabbies.


At this point, we were fairly exhausted and elected to have a late lunch by the pool. We also treated ourselves to a couple of fantastic $18 massages. What a day! We did ask the concierge about hiring someone to take us to the Former Women Firewood Carrier's Co-op. We found it on a map with the (conflicting) information of two guidebooks, and learned from the concierge that the price was simply too much, so we sadly have given up on the Former Women Firewood Carrier's Co-op. Overall, it was a great day and a real taste of life in Addis.


Internet connection is slow tonight, so we'll upload pictures later!

Advertisement



25th April 2009

Interesting adventures
What was the intrigue about the "Co-op?"
25th April 2009

Adventures!
I sure like your blog! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop. Sounds like Addis is really interesting! What an adventure!
26th April 2009

Firewood???
Woman's firewood co op???? What is that? I would just LOVED to see Mike trying to cash those travel checks!!! Did you see Tigist today. Does Tigist know her Grandma and Grandpa are in Atlanta....thinking about her? Stay safe!!! Mom
26th April 2009

jealous now
Traveler's Checks. I don't know why anyone does that anymore, but it was probably a great experience to see old school bankers in action. Were they using paper account books? And lots of rubber stamps? Donkeys are sooo cute. Were they terribly loaded down? I'm amazed at how much those tiny animals can carry. The shoe-shine kids sound great. What did they tell you about Abraham Lincoln? As for this Co-Op, if you want to go, you should go and not mind that the price is "too much." When are you ever getting back there? Seriously. Don't let your, "don't charge me the farenge price" pride keep you from enjoying your trip. Sometimes, you just gotta pay the premium, 'cause really, you *aren't* a local, Sahib and Memsah'b.

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb