Convoy to Abu Simbel


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Abu Simbel
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The time was 4.00am on the next morning following an overnight sit-up train journey from Cairo and we were tired and grumpy about the ridiculous timing of the convoy from Luxor to Abu Simbel. The first sign that things were looking brighter was the sunrise underway out of the bus window some hours later, the second being the pleasant temperature (warm for February) and the last was the sight of few tourists around, instead of the hordes at the Pyramids in Giza.

The temples and their location are stunning, with the reconstructed mountain being undetectable from the rear. Fronted by the famous four images of Phaoroh Ramses II, complete to the fallen head of the second-from-the left one. The temple is very deep, lined with more huge statues and many side chambers.

Now it is said that men have ego management problems, but nowhere is this more noticeable than in the adjoining temple for Queen Nerfatari, the wife Ramses loved most in his 200 strong harem. Although supposedly hers, nearly all of the images, statues and hieroglyphs are of King Ramses, rather than Queen Nerfetari herself. One has to wonder........

The blue of Lake Nasser behind the High Dam, 23 degrees, hardly noticeable security and - compared to the hordes at Giza, - only a few tourists, all combined to make us happy to have seen it.
Not even the convoy back, with us being tail-end Charlie behind a struggling, smoke spewing, smaller slower bus, could diminish our memories.
Photos to follow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb